Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#76 2011-08-29 01:24:28

Au101

Re: Maths Paper (Remarking Advice)...

Well the way it worked this ear was that we were given a load of forms at the start and then you choose a title and a teacher to supervise you and then your supposed to fill the forms out as you progress, talking to your supervisor as you work on your EPQ. Most of the marks are, in fact, awarded for the forms - this is really why it was a waste of time. You spend many hours working on your EPQ but it's all in the form filling, it's just pathetic. Naturally, of course, in out case it didn't work like that, we all went away and then a few days before the respective staggered deadlines we all rushed to our supervisors filled out the forms, made up the dates, pretended we'd taken on-board the advice and got it all sent off. I don't know if the same will be the case with you and your supervisor, but I would be surprised if not. It's unlikely to be excessively well-organised and there are staggered review sheets, but it's unlikely to be too much. Well I was working with two others and we spent most of our summer on the report - which was fine, it was a really good summer, but the forms don't take long in terms of hours a week but are tiresome and time-consuming in the sense that it might take you twenty minutes to get the whole thing all filled out properly. It's supposed to represent about 100 hours' work, though, I think, or something like that.

Yes, you do have to give an a presentation, but the audience probably won't be much. The presentation is just a part of it, I mean, there's the thing, the artifact, the finished project, then loads of forms with the hows and whys and then a presentation full of the hows and whys as well. It's like the world's most excessively tedious piece of standard science coursework. But yes, the presentation will be to your supervisor and then your peers, really, anyone who wants to come - ours was given to our supervisor, a couple of teachers and another young man who was doing an EPQ under the same supervisor. But really, it's generally to whomever you invite/your supervisor invites. I have to say I rather enjoyed giving my presentation - very good fun indeed.

Last edited by Au101 (2011-08-29 01:25:13)

#77 2011-08-29 01:37:17

zetafunc.

Re: Maths Paper (Remarking Advice)...

Thanks for the reply.

What kinds of forms did they make you fill out, and what kind of presentation did you have to give? What was your chosen topic?

Board footer