Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#6626 2012-11-22 13:01:24

bobbym
Administrator

Re: Linear Interpolation FP1 Formula

Why not get them? You can never have too many.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
I have the result, but I do not yet know how to get it.
All physicists, and a good many quite respectable mathematicians are contemptuous about proof.

#6627 2012-11-22 13:02:55

zetafunc.

I hate using my phone. It's too darn expensive. Just over 30p per text. I cannot afford it.

#6628 2012-11-22 13:04:43

bobbym
Administrator

I think I may have mentioned it to you by skyping over your computer is free. You can talk as long as you to whomever you like.

All physicists, and a good many quite respectable mathematicians are contemptuous about proof.

#6629 2012-11-22 13:06:31

zetafunc.

I don't have the equipment...

#6630 2012-11-22 13:07:05

zetafunc.

I am not even in a relationship yet and already they are draining me of my money.

#6631 2012-11-22 13:08:49

bobbym
Administrator

Until you get more experienced and better at the game they do cost money.

#6632 2012-11-22 13:10:41

zetafunc.

And the best things in life are free, they say...

#6633 2012-11-22 13:12:41

bobbym
Administrator

That is the sun and the moon. Perhaps in the future you will have more money or they will keep you as a pet. The american dream! They do not ask for much do they?

I am going to start dinner and eat it. See you tomorrow.

#6634 2012-11-22 13:22:26

zetafunc.

Okay, see you tomorrow.

#6635 2012-11-22 21:12:44

bobbym
Administrator

Hi;

Stuffed myself beyond belief against my better judgement and now I am sleepy and lethargic.

At those prices you will have to stick to email.

#6636 2012-11-23 02:44:51

zetafunc.

That happens to me too.

Yes, I agree. R replied too, nothing much was said though.

There is another girl in my chemistry class who I think likes me but I feel a bit awkward about it. It's kind of obvious too. For pretty much no reason she says she wants to sit next to me whenever she's able to do so in class. But I have nothing in common with her. There are lots of awkward silences and times when she is walking with me where nothing is being said. I feel sort of bad for that reason, because during the chemistry practical today (it was a long one), she was willing to do everything for me.

#6637 2012-11-23 05:15:02

bobbym
Administrator

Hi;

Who is this new girl and I think you will now have to come to a decision.

#6638 2012-11-23 06:16:00

zetafunc.

I'm not entirely sure what I should do.

#6639 2012-11-23 06:17:29

bobbym
Administrator

Hi;

You can not get them all. You will reduce the number of choices down to a smaller number.

You should talk to this new girl too.

#6640 2012-11-23 06:23:23

zetafunc.

I could ask some of the others out to reduce my pool size...

#6641 2012-11-23 06:24:31

bobbym
Administrator

You are assuming a negative response?

#6642 2012-11-23 06:30:09

zetafunc.

From R, yes. Katie is a possibility. The two other girls I am doubting mostly because they've started taking annoying lengths of time to reply to relatively short e-mails.

#6643 2012-11-23 06:42:03

bobbym
Administrator

Yes, I mentioned that. Their attention span is quite small, that is another reason you should never delay asking. When they are talking to you is always better than waiting till tomorrow.

#6644 2012-11-23 07:09:24

zetafunc.

I wanted to get to know them better. How can I ask them out, if I cannot even remember exactly what they look like?

#6645 2012-11-23 07:15:07

bobbym
Administrator

Hmmm. Are you saying you did not know what they looked like while you were talking to them?

#6646 2012-11-23 07:21:01

zetafunc.

I vaguely remember what they looked like but not well. My visual memory is not great.

#6647 2012-11-23 07:33:51

bobbym
Administrator

That is my point. If you wait you might not even remember what they look like. She could be as beautiful as Cameron Diaz and you have lost her forever.

When girls are talking to you they are in the mood so to speak. This is a momentary thing. The way you forget their face they forget yours. Do you think they are going to say yes 2 weeks later when they do not remember what you look like?

You have little chance of using the idea of waiting because you want to get to know them better. The purpose of dating is to get to know someone better. Waiting only causes fading memories and desire.

#6648 2012-11-23 08:09:42

zetafunc.

If they were as beautiful as Cameron Diaz (I don't actually know what she looks like), then I probably would have remembered them. I remember that one of the girls wasn't that good-looking, one of them was.

Even a few hours after seeing them I forgot what they looked like. I do not think my looks are what appeal to them, they seem more attracted to my maths knowledge, so it is largely irrelevant whether or not they remember what my face resembles.

#6649 2012-11-23 08:32:14

bobbym
Administrator

they seem more attracted to my maths knowledge, so it is largely irrelevant whether or not they remember what my face resembles.

I do not agree with that conclusion. You seem to be ignoring the facts in favor of a fantasy. One was cute and you have lost her because you can not remember her. If you continue to do this you will forget others. They will forget you. How many will it take before you realize waiting is wasteful? Has it ever worked for you or anyone you know? Why continue with a strategy that has no chance of victory? It never worked for me or anyone I know. They will find other guys because those guys are actively looking for them.

No one dates someone because of their math knowledge. At the moment she is talking to you she is attracted by something. Who cares what is. The point is, it is momentary. Their attention span thus their excitement is 5 minutes long. If she forgets what you are like then she is not even going to answer an email let alone say yes.

Sure somewhere out there may be this imaginary girl that you think is going to wait months for you. She may be living in Canada or Russia. She may be only one in a billion. Do you want to wait for her and pass up all the opportunities that are happening right now? You may never meet her, she may not exist.

Point is when you ask right there you get immediate results. They say yes, bingo! They say no, you know where you stand. No chance of her forgetting you or worse you forgetting her.

#6650 2013-01-15 00:32:14

zetafunc.

Sorry for the long delay. Happy new year to everyone.

I had my Cambridge interview which I thought went really well, but because I had poor scores in a few of my modules, they rejected me on that basis. However, in my feedback they said that they do not consider contextual factors, which my school were outraged by (I go to an underachieving mixed comprehensive state school in London). I am annoyed by this too; they did not really consider me as an individual, they just looked at my UMS scores and thought "oh look, most of his scores are great, but three out of those 24 modules are below 80%". It contradicts their claim that they consider each applicant's contextual circumstances, and my school are going to appeal. How was I supposed to ace those exams if my school did not even have the textbooks or had heard of the modules I was sitting, and I could not afford to buy them all, I had to learn from past papers.

I don't know about the US but in the UK, unis are supposed to be trying to have a greater intake of state-schoolers (and fewer private-schoolers) so more people can have access to higher education. In fact, almost every uni does that, they appreciate that some candidates don't have the resources or tuition to get brilliant grades. But Cambridge are not budging from their elitism. My advisor said that if I aced the STEP exams I could re-apply (and take a year out) but I don't know if it is worth it, and Cambridge is not the be all and end all of academia. I am attracted to their 1 on 1 supervisions and the resources to let mathmos study pretty much anything they want, but I can be successful elsewhere. As such, I am probably accepting my offer to study at UCL. And plus, I will never see F again, that is good.

As for the girls, well, I agree with you, I have been a bit wasteful. At the UCL open day a girl I talked to managed to get my e-mail off the internet somewhere (I still don't know how she did it) and I am pretty certain she liked me, and we e-mailed a lot. Her English is poor but she is a nice person. However, when she admitted she liked me, she said that she wanted to wait for marriage before doing anything at all (even kissing), and she would like to marry at 30. I told her that I'm not looking for a serious commitment like that. I think at the moment my general outlook is to go out and have some fun first, get some experience. I don't follow the no pre-marital intimacy concept either.

I'm still talking to Rhona, Hannah, adriana and Katie (the latter two are girls I met at the Saturday schools). Started talking to PJ again, too, but the elitist attitude is still there which just makes me irritated from time to time. Sorry, but I just can't date someone like that. I think I may as well ask Hannah/adriana/Katie out, since I'll probably never see them again. With Rhona, I don't know. She has been giving me lots of great advice on taking gap years, and we've talked lots about the problems with the education system in the UK, the imbalances, etc. but in person she struggled to make eye contact with me and appeared visibly nervous. However, I did move the subject to relationships and I got the feeling she wasn't interested. The problem with asking her out is that I lose out on a good friend if she says no. I think I'll just ask her if she wants to go get something to eat or something (after the 25th).

The problem with all this is that I feel like some of these I'm just asking out on the basis that they are female, which makes me come across as extremely desperate. The only one I really have stuff in common with is Rhona, and I've known her for way longer too.

Board footer