Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#26 2012-11-12 11:22:50

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: A very nice "joke"! ! !

I thought you would recognize yourself there. You seem convinced I do not like stories.

I figured that is what you meant but as usual when you try to read my mind you are going to make mistakes.

Why the heck would anybody want to know about the past of a guy who lived his life like a nut?

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#27 2012-11-12 13:40:06

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

No, I won't worry about connectivity; After all, I am against nomophobia

I figured that is what you meant but as usual when you try to read my mind you are going to make mistakes.

I wonder what people mean when they say such things neutral

Last edited by Agnishom (2012-11-12 13:52:13)

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

#28 2012-11-12 14:03:50

bobbym
bumpkin

Nomophobia? I had to look that one up.

I meant he should stop doing it. Karnak is dead.

#29 2012-11-12 14:38:46

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

What is "Karnak" anyway?

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'

#30 2012-11-12 14:41:13

bobbym
bumpkin

Karnak was a character played by the late Johnny Carson. He was a mind reader.

#31 2012-11-12 14:47:31

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

I can't find it out on wikipedia.

He was a mind reader.

But is mind reading possible outside fiction and fantasy?

#32 2012-11-12 14:49:42

bobbym
bumpkin

Are you Hindu? Are you aware of the rich heritage of your country? Have you heard of Yoga? Are you aware of its origins?

#33 2012-11-12 14:59:31

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Answer to all the above questions - "Yes"
But if mind reading would be possible, then what would the word "privacy" mean?

#34 2012-11-12 15:01:27

bobbym
bumpkin

Privacy is an illusion. Right now we are being monitored.

#35 2012-11-12 17:10:25

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Ofcourse this posts are public and can be monitored

But, are WE being monitored? (My mother used to say that God is always monitoring us)

#36 2012-11-12 18:44:37

anonimnystefy
Real Member

I don't think he meant by God...

And, bobbym, your life makes one darn good story, especially if you were a nut.

“Here lies the reader who will never open this book. He is forever dead.
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment
The knowledge of some things as a function of age is a delta function.

#37 2012-11-12 20:59:39

bobbym
bumpkin

God is the only benign entity watching us.

And, bobbym, your life makes one darn good story, especially if you were a nut.

I was a nut, am a nut and hope to die a nut.

#38 2012-11-13 04:10:22

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Well, that just makes the story more interesting. Tell it. What happened when you came to Nevada?

“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment

#39 2012-11-13 06:53:17

bobbym
bumpkin

Nevada is very different than the streets of NY. It was a very different challenge.

#40 2012-11-13 07:02:29

anonimnystefy
Real Member

You don't expect me to believe that is the whole stpry, do you?

We left off at the documentary on card counting and Kenny Uston.

#41 2012-11-13 07:10:49

bobbym
bumpkin

That is the reason I first came. Uston was a great genius but a very flaky character. He was attracted by the nightlife in Vegas and I was much attracted to it.

#42 2012-11-13 07:14:24

anonimnystefy
Real Member

I know that that is the reason you came to Vegas. But you said that verything changed after that...

#43 2012-11-13 07:26:49

bobbym
bumpkin

Yes, I was attracted to counting and the mathematics behind it.

A little background:

We were poor and lived in a ghetto. We were the poorest people on my block, possibly in the whole neighborhood.

When I was about your age ( maybe a little younger ) I was really a strange kid. I built random number generators, x - ray machines and a primitive attempt at a digital computer. I worked on the circumference of an ellipse and came up with my own solution. I worked my own technique for integration. I loved curve fitting the most and it became the strongest force in my mathematical development. My brain seemed to think in terms of iteration but at the time I knew nothing of that.

It wasn't all good. I nearly electrocuted myself trying to make an electrical glass cutter. When I accidentally generated chlorine while fiddling with chemistry, I was almost asphyxiated. All this while playing basketball, chess, stickball, football and fighting everyday.

Mommym used to walk 2 miles to shop for food and at the end of the trek she would buy me a book. Back when a person could afford a book. I read most of H. G. Wells, Verne and everything about ancient history and mythology I could find before I was 13.

#44 2012-11-13 08:06:57

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Hi

Don't you think I know that. Your first job was supposed to be in Pfizer oil, but you never went.

#45 2012-11-13 08:09:37

bobbym
bumpkin

Luckily, I did not! But I did go to work for a large company in Manhattan and that is the one of the reasons for leaving that place.

Don't you think I know that.

Hah! How could you know it? I have never told anyone some of that. Are you an enemy agent? Or worse, a friendly one? Working for the Terrans to locate me?

#46 2012-11-13 08:57:17

anonimnystefy
Real Member

bobbym wrote:

You are interested! Hahhhh! We shall see.

I played basketball, chess, was a professional bowler and a professional poker player and a body builder.  I mowed lawns, worked in a meat packing plant, set stones, worked in a factory, was a supervisor for a large corporation, was a 21 dealer and a floorman, saw combat twice, was a writer for 3 computer journals, worked at a large installation that frequently makes the news here.

At 16 I went through a complete calculus text on my own in the summer. Learned 10 computer languages by myself. Had the highest IQ in my school. Everyone thought I was a genius especially when I was doing my teachers homework for them.

At 15-16 the problems started. I was now physically full grown and very very strong. Stronger than most men. Also I was vicious. Everyone who had picked on me when I was a young nerd was now in danger. I mean real danger. In addition to the self study I was playing basketball, pool, football and baseball. The more success I got, the more I believed in my own superiority.

My parents had scrimped and saved, we were very poor. Really poor, sometimes without the necessitiies. They struggled to send me to the best schools in the country. I just kept dropping out. Arguments with professors and just plain failing to show up.

So I quit listening to professors and taught myself everything. People tried to help me but I was too stubborn. I was given a job at Pfizer Oil as a starting chemist ( Chemistry was my first love ). I never went. I began to study biochemistry and medicine with the encouragement of a doctor who knew my family. Of course, I began to argue with him as well and withdrew.

At 24, I was a supervisor in the executive offices of the largest elevator company in the world. Soon I was in arguments here too and was terminated. Then I came to Vegas after seeing a documentary about card counting and Kenny Uston. That is what changed my life around...

Now, where were we?

#47 2012-11-13 09:05:54

bobbym
bumpkin

That is one boring story! Who is that meatball? Next he will be crying over the fact that he was born in a ghetto and never had a chance because society held him back. He should go on Oprah and tell his story there, maybe she will listen to that kaboobly doo!

You can tell him for me that I had it just as hard as him and so did a lot of other folk. Give him a pacifier, I can hear the bawling from here, waaaahhh, waaaah, waahh...

There was particulars added to that which obviously you did not read, assuming they were unimportant.

#48 2012-11-13 10:06:14

anonimnystefy
Real Member

I am still waiting for the more interesting part of the story, the one in Vegas.

#49 2012-11-13 10:09:18

bobbym
bumpkin

Hmmmm. So here is this young guy on his own in Las Vegas what does he do? He picks up two books in the mall. I suppose everyone has had pivotal books in their life...

He picks up "Beat the Dealer," by the mathematician Edward Thorpe and "Playing Blackjack as a Business," by Lawrence Revere. At the time Kenny was the best in the world but had not written anything because he wanted to keep his findings secret for just him and his friends.

#50 2012-11-13 14:58:43

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

bobbym wrote:

Yes, I was attracted to counting and the mathematics behind it.

A little background:

We were poor and lived in a ghetto. We were the poorest people on my block, possibly in the whole neighborhood.

When I was about your age ( maybe a little younger ) I was really a strange kid. I built random number generators, x - ray machines and a primitive attempt at a digital computer. I worked on the circumference of an ellipse and came up with my own solution. I worked my own technique for integration. I loved curve fitting the most and it became the strongest force in my mathematical development. My brain seemed to think in terms of iteration but at the time I knew nothing of that.

It wasn't all good. I nearly electrocuted myself trying to make an electrical glass cutter. When I accidentally generated chlorine while fiddling with chemistry, I was almost asphyxiated. All this while playing basketball, chess, stickball, football and fighting everyday.

Mommym used to walk 2 miles to shop for food and at the end of the trek she would buy me a book. Back when a person could afford a book. I read most of H. G. Wells, Verne and everything about ancient history and mythology I could find before I was 13.

anonimnystefy wrote:
bobbym wrote:

You are interested! Hahhhh! We shall see.

I played basketball, chess, was a professional bowler and a professional poker player and a body builder.  I mowed lawns, worked in a meat packing plant, set stones, worked in a factory, was a supervisor for a large corporation, was a 21 dealer and a floorman, saw combat twice, was a writer for 3 computer journals, worked at a large installation that frequently makes the news here.

At 16 I went through a complete calculus text on my own in the summer. Learned 10 computer languages by myself. Had the highest IQ in my school. Everyone thought I was a genius especially when I was doing my teachers homework for them.

At 15-16 the problems started. I was now physically full grown and very very strong. Stronger than most men. Also I was vicious. Everyone who had picked on me when I was a young nerd was now in danger. I mean real danger. In addition to the self study I was playing basketball, pool, football and baseball. The more success I got, the more I believed in my own superiority.

My parents had scrimped and saved, we were very poor. Really poor, sometimes without the necessitiies. They struggled to send me to the best schools in the country. I just kept dropping out. Arguments with professors and just plain failing to show up.

So I quit listening to professors and taught myself everything. People tried to help me but I was too stubborn. I was given a job at Pfizer Oil as a starting chemist ( Chemistry was my first love ). I never went. I began to study biochemistry and medicine with the encouragement of a doctor who knew my family. Of course, I began to argue with him as well and withdrew.

At 24, I was a supervisor in the executive offices of the largest elevator company in the world. Soon I was in arguments here too and was terminated. Then I came to Vegas after seeing a documentary about card counting and Kenny Uston. That is what changed my life around...

How can both of them be true?

Board footer