Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#76 2012-11-16 23:43:09

phrontister
Real Member

Re: A very nice "joke"! ! !

This is my feeble attempt at writing a joke I heard a few years ago, of which I can only recall the punch line and the jazz bar setting. I used a jazz/beatnik dictionary to get me through this, and these are some of the entries I used:

So, here's the 'joke':

Miles, a real gone cat from Beatsville, left his pad one night and breezed into a happening jazz bar, dressed to the nines in his zoots and shiny brand new leathers.

Those shoes sure popped a few orbs, and an admiring crowd gathered around Miles. So Miles took his shoes off for them to experience, but while no one was looking some crumb cut out with them and began sneaking towards the exit.

Miles noticed his shoes had gone missing and looked around to see who'd ended up with them, but a hep cat who'd been caressin' the tubs understood the deal and cruised up to Miles, tapped him on the shoulder, and, pointing to the dude with the prize, said to Miles, "Pardon me boy, is that the cat who took your new shoes?"

Last edited by phrontister (2012-11-17 14:23:34)

"The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do." - Ted Nelson

#77 2012-11-17 02:43:34

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Miller?

“Here lies the reader who will never open this book. He is forever dead.
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment
The knowledge of some things as a function of age is a delta function.

#78 2012-11-17 06:17:09

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi phrontister;

Yet another oldie that will be totally mysterious to everyone.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#79 2012-11-17 11:45:24

phrontister
Real Member

No...Davis.

"The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do." - Ted Nelson

#80 2012-11-17 11:47:47

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

The Andrew Sisters.

#81 2012-11-17 12:08:54

phrontister
Real Member

Hi Bobby,

The Andrews Sisters - masters of incredibly tight harmonies.

Miles Davis:

Miles Dewey Davis III (May 26, 1926 – September 28, 1991) was an American jazz musician, trumpeter, bandleader, and composer. Widely considered one of the most influential musicians of the 20th century, Miles Davis was, with his musical groups, at the forefront of several major developments in jazz music, including bebop, cool jazz, hard bop, modal jazz, and jazz fusion.
On October 7, 2008, his 1959 album Kind of Blue received its fourth platinum certification from the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), for shipments of at least four million copies in the United States. Miles Davis was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2006. Davis was noted as "one of the key figures in the history of jazz". On December 15, 2009, the U.S. House of Representatives passed a symbolic resolution recognizing and commemorating the album Kind of Blue on its 50th anniversary, "honoring the masterpiece and reaffirming jazz as a national treasure."

A bygone era...

#82 2012-11-17 12:15:49

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

He is mentioned in the movie "Collateral."

#83 2012-11-17 12:34:08

phrontister
Real Member

Hi Bobby,

I haven't seen that movie...which isn't surprising, as I don't watch many at all.

I heard the shoes joke a few years back but couldn't remember much of it, other than the punch line and that it was set in a jazz club. Googling for it only turned up a Roy Rogers version (with a different punch line) that I hadn't heard before.

So last night I sat down with a jazz slang dictionary and cooked up my joke version, which, because of my lack of knowledge of jazz/beat grammar, to a true follower probably sounds like fingernails scraping across a blackboard.

#84 2012-11-17 12:41:49

bobbym
bumpkin

I thought the phrases were a little off base, but what does Miles have to do with Chattanooga Choo Choo?

#85 2012-11-17 12:45:02

phrontister
Real Member

Nothing, really. I chose his name for the first name of my character because of the jazz club setting.

#86 2012-11-17 13:02:05

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

I get it. Ever heard him play?

#87 2012-11-17 13:52:07

phrontister
Real Member

No, I haven't. I'm not into jazz, but maybe I should broaden my musical horizon a bit and check him out on YT.

I've edited my post #76 and included entries from various jazz/beatnik slang sources on the net that I used for my joke.

#88 2012-11-17 14:16:33

bobbym
bumpkin

Miles, a real gone cat from Beatsville,

That one just is not right.

Beatnik, a term I have not heard since the Dobie Gillis days.

#89 2012-11-17 14:27:04

phrontister
Real Member

Hi Bobby,

That one just is not right.

This came from a site of such terms:

Gone = cool, groovy, neat, neato; said of a person, as in "He's a real gone cat".

#90 2012-11-17 14:30:18

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

"He's a real gone cat".

I know the site but that dude is not any older than Tigeree. The phrase should be, "that cat is really gone.

#91 2012-11-18 03:22:11

phrontister
Real Member

Hi Bobby,

I've done some digging...

The term "real gone cat" appears quite frequently on the net and seems to have been popular through many decades and several genres (eg, jazz, beatnik, blues, rock 'n roll).

I also found a short film (containing jazz-like talk) and a couple of oldish songs by that name, a number of old songs with that phrase in the lyrics, and other old (1950s) usages such as "real gone daddy" and "real gone guy".

The adjectival phrase "real gone" has the same meaning whether it precedes or follows the noun, and "really gone" probably just adds some extra emphasis to "real".

So I think that my use of the phrase is valid.

#92 2012-11-18 03:48:06

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi phrontister;

I have no doubt you have done your homework, I just do not remember it that way.

#93 2012-11-18 04:19:22

phrontister
Real Member

Hi Bobby,

...I just do not remember it that way.

If you can remember the fifties/sixties, you weren't there.

(I think my joke is set in the fifties/sixties period, hence the slight misquote to include the fifties.)

Also, if you're so old that you can't remember those years, you were there. wink

So your answer indicates that you were around in the fifties/sixties...which narrows the field for those still trying to work out your age. smile

Btw, did you check out the Andrews Sisters link in my post #81?

And here's a link to the movie I mentioned in my previous post – I think you might like it. It only goes for about 20 minutes, and I thought it was quite well done.

Last edited by phrontister (2012-11-18 04:50:25)

#94 2012-11-18 08:28:53

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

So your answer indicates that you were around in the fifties/sixties...

I was around a good bit before that too.

Yes, I saw the video of those three gals.

The movie...Sending a 92 year old guy a video about the grim reaper is positively mean.

#95 2012-11-18 10:13:38

phrontister
Real Member

bobbym wrote:

The movie...Sending a 92 year old guy a video about the grim reaper is positively mean.

But...but...but...I thought I sent it to you! How could you think that I would do something so mean?! sad

Last edited by phrontister (2012-11-18 10:14:23)

#96 2012-11-18 10:29:08

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi phrontister;

I am that 92 year old fellow. Now I will not be able to sleep for a month. But I do remember that we are cousins so I may be coming over to the land of the upside down tomorrow for protection.

#97 2012-11-18 13:44:55

Sarah Rebekah 16

lol nice joke xD

Love is Golden.

#98 2012-11-18 13:56:48

Mathegocart

OK,seoursily If your parents died,you wouldnt go.

The integral of hope is reality.
May bobbym have a wonderful time in the pearly gates of heaven.
He will be sorely missed.

#99 2012-11-18 13:58:58

phrontister
Real Member

Hi Sarah,

Good to see you're back! smile

Btw, that's much better than saying to someone as they're leaving, "Good to see your back"!

Just ignore me if you don't understand that...but it mainly has to do with using the apostrophe in English grammar. The use or omission of an apostrophe can change the meaning of a sentence dramatically.

#100 2012-11-18 14:01:02

phrontister
Real Member

Hi Bobby,

Now I will not be able to sleep for a month.

...implication being that after the month is up you'll wake up! Excellent! smile At least that's better than what happened to Jimmy Baker, who wasn't quite so fortunate when Picasso got him.

Anyway, you once told me, after I'd expressed concern for your health because you seemed to be logged in 24/7, that you needed very little sleep. So not sleeping at all for the next month won't really mean much of a change to your way of life, will it?

I'll look out for you when you get here. But you won't be hard to miss...you'll be the upside-down arrival. You should probably get a pair of these specs before you get here, though.

This link might help you to find a pair.

Board footer