Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#26 2014-09-21 01:26:03

Olinguito

Re: Religious discussion

Agnishom wrote:

Media has no idea of what science (or anything) is. They just want an interesting story to sell their newspaper.

Not all of them are necessarily ignorant; some do know what they’re writing about. However, most (if not all) of them like to twist words around to make their story seem more sensational than it is.

Some years ago I saw a story entitled “McDonald’s sued for making their coffee too hot”. I thought: Hang on! Coffee is supposed to be hot. How could anyone be be sued for making their coffee too hot? I read the story, and it turned out that what McDonald’s were sued for was not making their coffee too hot but poor design of their coffee cups, which made the coffee in them spill easily, leading to third-degree burns to the person who successfully sued the company. This is an example of how the press can make an ordinary story sound extraordinary by using words misleadingly.

Last edited by Olinguito (2014-09-21 01:30:23)

Bassaricyon neblina

#27 2014-09-23 02:46:26

Olinguito

Re: Religious discussion

Adlai Stevenson (1900–65) wrote:

An editor is someone who separates the wheat from the chaff and then prints the chaff.

Bassaricyon neblina

Board footer