Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-05-28 08:35:09

ShivamS

New Rules

General Guidelines

1. English - Please talk in English most of the time and do not use shorthand or SMS or text message language (such as IMO, "u" for "you", and "plz" for "please" etc)
2. One account per person. If you want to register more than one account (for example, for a sibling) then contact a moderator or administrator.
3. When posting a new topic, please select the forum that best relates to the subject matter of your topic. If you are unsure, contact a moderator or admin.
4. Do not hijack an existing thread with off-topic comments or questions. Start a new thread instead.
5. You can "bump" only if 24 hours have past since the last post.
6. No obscenity, hate speeches, religious screeds, personal attacks, foul or hostile language, profanity, insults, snide remarks or phrases that appear to be an attempt to "put down" another member and other indirect attacks on a member's character or motives.
7. Please treat all members with respect, even if you do not agree with them.
8. Do not overuse the capital letters, bold, oversized, non-standard, or coloured fonts, or any combination thereof.
9. If you are referring to someone in your post, perhaps you should quote their post using the "Quote" button.
10. When you quote from a post, please delete large sections that are not directly relevant to your response, to make reading easier.
11. Images, material or links to images and or material whether real, satirical or implied depicting obscene, indecent, lewd, math, violent, abusive, insulting, or threatening in nature are not permitted.
12. If you find a post containing anything that is in violation of the rules, report it immediately using the "Report" button.
13. Explicit "how to" discussions of illegal and/or dangerous activities, or posts advocating such activities, are prohibited; such as: how to make explosives, manufacture crack, steal software, hack into the CIA etc.
14. Soliciting or offering financial payment for any reason is strictly prohibited.
15. Advertising for personal gain of any kind is not permitted.
16. We are not here to spoon-feed you. Please, before asking a fairly obvious question, search it on some search engine. It is very likely that you will get an answer much quicker than asking here.
17. Do not spam - reposting questions, posting junk etc all constitute as spam.
18. Make all attempts to ensure that your post is credible and correct. Support all speculative/not obvious information in your post with valid sources (peer reviewed journals or textbooks constitute as valid sources).

Homework

1. Post in the "Help me" section.
2. State the problem as it was written exactly.
3. Please show some attempt on the question (say what you tried, even if it was wrong).
4. State your educational background (e.g. high school, university etc) so you do not get too simplified or difficult answers.

Last edited by ShivamS (2014-05-29 02:35:14)

#2 2014-05-28 09:32:07

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: New Rules

Ooh those are strong.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2014-05-28 09:35:04

ShivamS

I think they're pretty good but not too strict and fairly obvious.

These are better than the current rules because there is a lot missing from the current ones. This way, not one can come and complain that he got banned for doing something but that wasn't in the rules.

Last edited by ShivamS (2014-06-09 12:33:06)

#4 2014-05-28 11:43:34

anonimnystefy
Real Member

5 and 6 are harsh and 9 is not really a rule. 14 doesn't make sense and 15 should have a clause where you can advertise with permission.

“Here lies the reader who will never open this book. He is forever dead.
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment
The knowledge of some things as a function of age is a delta function.

#5 2014-05-28 12:09:23

ShivamS

I don't need your opinion, you idiot.

That would happen without rule 6.

Right now, bumping is not allowed at all. 24 hours is good.

By rule 14, I mean: solve this and you get $10.

For rule 15, it says for personal gain. If it's a math site or anything, that's not for personal gain.

#6 2014-05-28 12:21:43

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Sorry, meant 4 and 5, not 5 and 6.

I don't see why anyone should not be able to offer money for a solution to a problem

“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment

#7 2014-05-28 12:55:09

ShivamS

Okay. I agree with you on 4, but note that all these rules are not to be enforced word by word. Some leniency is assumed - especially on such a nice forum.

As for 5, I am sure you do not want a user bumping his thread 10 times a day.

As for 14, I just wrote that in case it ever is needed. Such things do happen on forums.

#8 2014-05-28 14:49:47

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Excellent guidelines.

Good work, bobbym, ShivamS, and anonimnystefy!

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#9 2014-05-28 17:21:35

David

General Guidelines and Rules

Posting in the Forum.
1.    Language – Most users on this forum only understand English, please use proper English with adequate grammar & punctuation (Do not use shorthand i.e SMS English - It is ok to sometimes use shortened words such as gr8, but too much of this will classify your post as spam).
2.    Inappropriate language is not tolerated on Math is Fun Forum. Cursing, cussing, or any type of offensive language is not tolerated to any degree. This includes substitute words and abbreviations. Trolling and Personal attacks are not allowed. This community is family-friendly, we will not tolerate members making other members feel discouraged in anyway. We will not allow trolling on this forum (That includes you GIB).
-    In short, no obscenity, hate speeches, religious screeds, personal attacks, foul or hostile language, profanity, insults, snide remarks or anything that appear to be an attempt to "put down" another member and other indirect attacks on a member's character or motives is not tolerated on Math is Fun Forum.
3.    Spamming on this site is not allowed. Spamming consists of double posts, using all capital letters, and posting the same post, word, letter, etc. Repeatedly. 
4.    There is to be NO plagiarism anywhere in this site. It is against the law. So if this is caught, you will be banned forever.
5.    Mages, material or links to images and or material whether real, satirical or implied depicting obscene, indecent, lewd, math, violent, abusive, insulting, or threatening in nature are not permitted.
6.    Advertising for personal gain of any kind is not permitted. 
7.    Explicit "how to" discussions of illegal and/or dangerous activities, or posts advocating such activities, are prohibited; such as: how to make explosives, manufacture crack, steal software, hacking the CIA etc.

Account
1.    You are only allowed to have one account on Math is Fun Forum. If you want to register another account for another user (e.g. Siblings). You can do so by contacting the moderators. Multiply account is not allowed. If you forget your     password, please use the password reset on the login form. If you continue to have trouble to login contact the moderators and we will work with you to reset your password.
-    In short, DO NOT create multiple accounts, if you want to create another account for another user (e.g. Siblings) let the moderators know first.
2.    Please do NOT share any personal information such as your address, phone number, password and other private information.
3.    Soliciting or offering financial payment or any type is strictly prohibited. Members engaging in this activity may or may not get a warning before their accounts are sanctioned/banned.

Asking for help / Responding to a help request
1.    Please post your help request in the "Help me" section. Write down what you need helping with properly. If it is a question, you can write it down or scan/take a picture of the question.
2.    Reposting your help request is considered as spamming, which is not allowed on this forum. This is a forum, not an instant messaging service, please be patience and wait for a response.
3.    You are allowed to post you’re education background (i.e. High school, Ph. D.) when required.
4.    Please make sure that what you post is correct and/or is from a reliable source. If not, please state it out. 
Failing to obey the rules above may result in your account being temporarily or permanently banned from all Math is Fun owned websites. Respect others and others will respect you back.

Last edited by David (2014-05-28 17:28:07)

His dominion is an everlasting dominion, Which shall not pass away, And His kingdom the one Which shall not be destroyed.

#10 2014-05-28 18:36:19

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Yikes! The current rules are good enough.

You can just add one rule:

> Keep Calm
> and
> Do what people from Bumpkinland asks you to.

And another:

> Do not be GeniusIsBack

You can also have a model code of conduct like this:

> Spill apple juice on people.
> Use a transparent soap.
> Ask people what their favorite color is.
> Lead a Gangnam Style life.

Last edited by Agnishom (2014-05-28 18:56:30)

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

#11 2014-05-28 19:35:15

bobbym
bumpkin

The true test of any system of rules is the police force designed to enforce it.

#12 2014-05-28 19:54:18

Bob
Administrator

It's good to have a debate about the rules but I think we should be slow to change in case we lose things of value.  One of the strengths of this forum is that members get on well and obviously enjoy the relaxed nature of the forum.

When I first joined I thought there should be strict observance of this

This is a Forum, it is not instant chat. Leave your message, and come back later (hours or days) to see what responses you got.

and this:

No Spam. Spam includes messages that have no relevance to the topic, .......

But then I found myself doing it and clearly other get a lot from it so I wouldn't want to knock that out.

Something that often happens with Help threads, is the OP never comes back and the members take over the thread.  Does that matter?  If I had posted for help and came back two days later to find my question had been padded out with loads of chat between members I'd be a bit confused, especially if the 'answer' got lost amongst all the chat, so maybe we should be more wary about how we treat someone's query.

Because there are so many 'Do this and post another' type posts I do find it hard to keep track of all the new stuff everyday but, hey,  as the chairman said “Let one thousand flowers bloom”.  smile

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#13 2014-05-28 19:57:36

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

What does “Let one thousand flowers bloom” mean?

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'

#14 2014-05-28 20:09:38

bobbym
bumpkin

In the last hour I have spotted 4 major infractions of some of the rules listed above. What should be done? Bannings? Warnings? Deletions? The transgressors will complain, there will be arguments over interpretation. More rules will be quoted and eventually more force brought to bear. In the end, hard feelings. Is that what you are all clamoring for?

My own personal experience in another forum, one of the best. I made a point. One moderator replied a day later said my point bothered him, another called me an idiot. I argued with them, proving that I was an idiot. At least I was a polite idiot. The administrator PM's me, "leave my moderators alone or I will bar you." The rule he cited, "A moderators word is final," therefore I am an idiot. The rule was right there on the front page.

#15 2014-05-28 20:10:39

Bob
Administrator

It's a quote from Mao Tse-Tung, from his 'cultural revolution' period.  It seemed to take the brakes off the clamp-down on dissent but some observers think it may just have been a ruse to flush out those who disagreed with him.  Anyway, no suspicious motives from me; I genuinely meant let's share a variety of styles, attitudes and cultures.

"A garden is more beautiful when it contains more than one type of flower." quote from chairman Bundy.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#16 2014-05-28 20:18:47

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

I fully agree with post 12

#17 2014-05-29 02:34:58

ShivamS

chooipian, those are more or less the same, but you have a couple that I forgot so I will add them.

16. We are not here to spoon-feed you. Please, before asking a fairly obvious question, search it on some search engine. It is very likely that you will get an answer much quicker than asking here.

17. Do not spam - reposting questions, posting junk etc all constitute as spam.

18. Make all attempts to ensure that your post is credible and correct. Support all speculative/not obvious information in your post with valid sources (peer reviewed journals or textbooks constitute as valid sources).

I agree that these rules may be stern, but as bobbym said, it depends on how you enforce it. The point of these rules is to prevent any banned member from complaining  that we banned them for something not on the rules. How you enforce them is up to the staff. Some leniency is expected.

#18 2014-05-29 06:22:49

anonimnystefy
Real Member

I agree with everything Bob and bobbym said. I the end, they are the ones who decide, by guts or otherwise, whether someone should or should not be banned.

As for the "rules" 16 and 18, they are not very good.
Imagine this: a guy is wondering what the integral of something silly is, e searches Google and finds that it doesn't exist. He says: "Okay, guess I'll just move on". Now, on the other hand, if he comes to this forum, it just might happen that he will ask that and we will tell him it doesn't exist, but, say, bobbym also tells him it can be done numerically for a definite integral.Who knows, it might just interest him... smile
Rule 18 is similar.

#19 2014-05-29 10:43:42

ShivamS

I meant only something very common, such as "what is a derivative?"

As for rule 18, I am sure you do not want anyone coming in here saying they proved Fermat's Last Theorem or proved that the theory of special relativity is nonsense, and then invent physics or mathematics to support their cause.

#20 2014-05-29 12:00:23

bobbym
bumpkin

I do not know how you can ever stop those guys. The last one was convinced 7 / 10 ≠ 70 / 100.

#21 2014-05-29 12:04:28

ShivamS

Ban those crackpots.

#22 2014-05-29 12:10:48

bobbym
bumpkin

It may seem like there are a lot of them but actually they are all the same guy.

#23 2014-05-29 23:18:49

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

ShivamS wrote:

such as "what is a derivative?"

Huh!! You did not like my calculus lectures in the other thread?

#24 2014-05-29 23:27:58

bobbym
bumpkin

He did not mean you. He was talking about a hypothetical poster. I took care of him.

#25 2014-05-29 23:30:01

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Board footer