Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#76 2014-06-12 04:05:23

phrontister
Real Member

Re: Brittle math 2: Generalizing is a disease.

I knew I wasn't brainy! I only make mistakes most of the time!

"The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do." - Ted Nelson

#77 2014-06-12 04:06:25

bobbym
Administrator

Are their pieces of your brain sticking out of your head? If so, then you are brainy.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

#78 2014-06-12 04:24:50

phrontister
Real Member

Hang on...I can feel something sticking out of the top of my head. I'll go and check.

*returns from the bathroom*

No...it's ok. It was just my cup of hot chocolate that I'd parked up there, waiting for it to cool down. When I put hot cuppas on my desk I forget them until they're at room temperature, but this way they're always on my mind.

"The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do." - Ted Nelson

#79 2014-06-12 04:30:27

bobbym
Administrator

A good idea.

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

#80 2014-06-12 04:34:10

anonimnystefy
Real Member

When can we expect BM3?

“Here lies the reader who will never open this book. He is forever dead.

“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment

#81 2014-06-12 04:37:21

bobbym
Administrator

That will be forthcoming. I still feel that all the juice has not been drawn from 1 and 2.

#82 2014-06-29 04:50:13

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

bobbym wrote:

Why assume they are roboticists?

Who are they, then?

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
'You have made another human being happy. There is no greater accomplishment.' -bobbym

#83 2014-06-29 04:54:53

bobbym
Administrator

Are you familiar with the legendary pair, "Abbot and Costello?"

#84 2014-06-29 05:08:57

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

bobbym wrote:

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
'You have made another human being happy. There is no greater accomplishment.' -bobbym

#85 2014-06-29 05:10:17

bobbym
Administrator

They were famous for doing comedy routines.

#86 2014-06-29 05:11:06

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Ok, so?

#87 2014-06-29 05:22:45

bobbym
Administrator

Abbot would always pose tough questions for Costello, they would perplex him because they would ask questions like you just did.

Board footer