Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#26 2014-06-23 11:43:27

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Re: Translate local vector to world vector

Ok, so, with the euler angles you supply the position and orientation of the ship and you need to calculate the velocity vector's end point. Git it, I think. I will have to look into the Euler angles a bit more though. That seems to be the toughest part.

“Here lies the reader who will never open this book. He is forever dead.
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment
The knowledge of some things as a function of age is a delta function.

#27 2014-06-23 11:54:57

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Ok, so, if I got this correctly, the Euler angles just set an objects orientation in its own inertial system using rotations around all three axes. Is that correct.

If yes, that means that the velocity vector has to have a default starting orientation. What did you choose for that orientation?

Last edited by anonimnystefy (2014-06-23 11:55:49)

“Here lies the reader who will never open this book. He is forever dead.
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment
The knowledge of some things as a function of age is a delta function.

#28 2014-06-25 02:05:06

DeadBeef

the start orientation is always as you see the ship when you log in, pointing upwards.

edit: if you take another look at the project (just register a new user if you cant remember your password. like i said, there will be hundreds of wipes) i removed the ship moving and instead placed an axisHelper. note i have set the radius, or length of the vector to a hardcoded value, i did this to make the problem more visible, it shouldnt affect the formula.

Last edited by DeadBeef (2014-06-25 04:32:48)

Board footer