Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#26 2014-12-04 01:45:17

Bob
Administrator

Re: 8 numbers of angle direction

hi pari_alf,

You are making me more and more confused.  I still don't have an answer to my post 13.  Let me try to explain:

(1)  Your image is too small and with numbers overlapping the lines so I cannot make sense of it.

(2)  To convert angles to codes you need to make clear how your codes will relate to the angles.  Phrontister's diagram in post 18 shows the sort of thing you could do.  But what is yours.

(3) You are using numbers for the points, the lines, and the codes.  That makes it very hard to sort out one from the other.

(4)  I have made a coordinate diagram, using the latest coordinates, but with letters A to J (no I) rather than numbers.  Then I have put on your target codes.

ZboyF8y.gif

They make no sense to me at all.  A to B and H to J have similar slopes but you want completely different codes.  If you do as I've asked in (2), then, I'm sure I can sort out the rest.  I won't bother to make any more posts until I see your angle to code conversion diagram.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#27 2014-12-04 02:18:35

phrontister
Real Member

rXkC0af.png
D4rBNrT.png

Last edited by phrontister (2017-02-25 22:18:34)

"The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do." - Ted Nelson

#28 2014-12-04 02:23:25

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi phrontister;

Please reply to your pm when you can.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#29 2014-12-04 02:33:24

phrontister
Real Member

Done...

"The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do." - Ted Nelson

#30 2014-12-04 16:37:37

phrontister
Real Member

Hi Bob,

Maybe this is the sort of thing pari_alf was after. Using my own coordinates, I constructed a shape that gave direction codes 0,1,2,3,4,5,4,7 (the numbers as per post #23), where 0 = line AB, 1 = line BC.....7 = line HJ.

It's quite easy to do: Using Geogebra, I positioned one point at a time while making sure the line angle fell within the sector limits of my compass.

I rounded the coordinates to integers and entered them into the Excel template I made for this...and the codes check out.

o5iUUUS.png

Uk2eVSF.png

Last edited by phrontister (2017-02-25 22:15:10)

Board footer