Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-11-10 17:30:41

lydoofus

Many thanks from an autodidact

I've used this site heavily and never registered or made a post- I want to just send out my appreciation. When I discovered this website, I was a high school dropout who just wanted an education. Nobody really cared about me or my future growing up. I decided to drop out of my own volition and teach myself instead of relying on people and a system that didn't care about me.

That's when I found this site. Teaching myself became about so much more than just learning- it became out healing from some of my trauma and reparenting myself. During that time, this website was like a playground to me, and it will always have a special place in my heart. When I first joined, I barely knew arithmetic. I'm now a junior physics and astrophysics double major in university and this website was a very joyful part of the journey.

My life has gotten more difficult these past few years, and I feel like I've who I was back when I used this site. I want to reach eudaimonia again, but in the meantime, I hope this website doesn't go anywhere, because it's one of the few things I have to remind myself of how joyful life can be.

<3
- Gius

#2 2022-11-10 20:02:41

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Re: Many thanks from an autodidact

Hi,

Welcome to the forum!

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#3 2022-11-10 21:45:36

Bob
Administrator

hi lydoofus

That's a great introduction. You are very welcome.

I can modify your username so you are not revealing your address to the world.  Just say if you want this. smile

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#4 2022-11-10 23:08:54

lydoofus

Ahaha yeah, that might be good, thanks Bob.

My dog's name is Bob too by the way. I can't resist taking this opportunity to talk about him. He's an 18 year old beagle who loves sugar snap peas. He and his brother Riley used to lay on my feet together while I read on this website.

Board footer