Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#26 2007-07-10 07:44:29

Laterally Speaking
Real Member

Re: Global Warming scenarios

My advice: find the answers to those questions. There is a good movie to watch (namely, An Inconvenient Truth), that really sends an honest message across (I think).

In any case, don't just say something like "oh, my. I'd really like to know, I just can't seem to find out how." If you say something like that, all it means is that you aren't trying, just trying to make others think you are.

Last edited by Laterally Speaking (2007-07-10 07:46:33)

"Knowledge is directly proportional to the amount of equipment ruined."
"This woman painted a picture of me; she was clearly a psychopath"

#27 2007-07-10 10:17:34

Patrick
Real Member

I guess that post was aimed at me? Let me take a look at what you said, and I'll tell you what I think.

Laterally Speaking wrote:

There is a good movie to watch (namely, An Inconvenient Truth), that really sends an honest message across (I think).

I have not seen it, and don't have any plans to see it any time soon. Why? Because there are plenty of other resources, and I can't check them all. I'm sure Davis Guggenheim managed to make a good entertaining movie. Bit naive to think one movie will provide all the answers, though, isn't it?

In any case, don't just say something like "oh, my. I'd really like to know, I just can't seem to find out how."

Do not put words into my mouth. I never said I'd really like to know. Actually, I couldn't care less. Biology, geology, etc. are not among my interests, so I'll leave others to do the research.

If you say something like that, all it means is that you aren't trying, just trying to make others think you are.

Well, I specifically said "I don't know." If this leads anyone to thinking that I know all the answers, that's them being stupid; can't do anything about that. I'll say it again, and this time with a disclaimer:

The following actually means what it says, don't be fooled!
I do not know the answers. I'm not going to find out either, because I can't - partly because I won't. My time is better spent elsewhere.

Last edited by Patrick (2007-07-10 10:19:44)

Support MathsIsFun.com by clicking on the banners.
What music do I listen to? Clicky click

#28 2007-07-21 16:33:06

Laterally Speaking
Real Member

I'm sorry if you found that that was directed at you... it wasn't. It was a general bit of advice.

I'd rather not comment any further, really.

"Knowledge is directly proportional to the amount of equipment ruined."
"This woman painted a picture of me; she was clearly a psychopath"

Board footer