Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#26 2007-08-26 15:19:58

mikau

Re: help: linear algebra

I'm glad to see you all saying that linear is no walk in the park because its really been kicking the pants off me. I had feared I'd reached the epitome of my capability.

I think i'm going to go to the school library as soon as school starts and see if I can check out any fat texts on linear algebra.  Mine is a 180 page tv manual and i really think they try to be too 'concise'.

honestly, Ricky, how was I supposed to understand that last sentance i mentioned?

A logarithm is just a misspelled algorithm.

#27 2007-08-26 16:26:40

Ricky

honestly, Ricky, how was I supposed to understand that last sentance i mentioned?

You're going to have to be more specific.  What exactly don't you understand?

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#28 2007-08-26 20:11:03

mikau

no i was just reflecting with distain on the books explanation. Namely, the first line in the proof of theorem 8.2 which we already discussed. What did the author think I could get out of that?

A logarithm is just a misspelled algorithm.

#29 2007-08-27 00:59:05

Ricky

It seems like your author may be cryptic in order to get you to make sure you really understand the material.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

Board footer