Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#26 2009-11-28 06:02:56

random_fruit

Re: MNEMONICS.

I see someone has edited the post I submitted on 2009-01-02.  I had written:

_s_e_x_ over here = sine: opposite / hypotenuse

but someone or something had removed the naughty word _s_e_x_ and replaced it with gender giving the nonsense you can see above.

#27 2009-11-28 08:18:30

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi random_fruit;

I can't find the post where that happened but the site has a filter to weed out offensive or colorful words.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#28 2011-12-01 18:34:15

DaveRobinsonUK1

ganesh wrote:

I remember 3 mnemonics.

1. To determine the inauspicious time (Rahu kaalam) of the day as per Hindu religion. The inauspicious time lasts for 1 1/2 hours starting from 7.30-9AM.

Mother Saw Father Wearing The Turban on Sunday.

Monday-7.30-9AM, Saturday-9-10.30AM, Friday-10.30-12AM, Wednesday-12-1.30PM, Thursday-1.30-3 PM, Tuesday-3-4.30PM, Sunday-4.30-6PM.

2. Spectral class of stars

Oh Be A Fine Girl Kiss Me!

3. Color code in Resistors

B.B.ROY of Great Britain has a Very Good Wife.

Any more mnemonics???

For the resistor one my CT teacher at school taught us this

Not exactly PC but this was the eighties, apparently it came out of BNFL, BAE Systems and Leyland Motors. Not sure if there is any
truth to that.

I see it, but I don't believe it.

#29 2012-06-13 18:59:52

Daja

my name is sanjeev batsakoti .i am a student but while reading i find difficult to read even the courses that are easy and my mind is distracted whilw reading . how can i improve my reading ? how can i accelerate my reading.i am a forgetful student .how can we remember for the long time

#30 2012-06-13 22:30:38

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi Daja;

You might consider a speed reading course. Sometimes a person's mind can wander while reading because the normal way is too slow to keep the brain interested.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#31 2018-01-29 14:54:14

Monox D. I-Fly

For resistors, my electro teacher simply said that the order was simply like the colors of the rainbow minus indigo plus grey and white.

Actually I never watch Star Wars and not interested in it anyway, but I choose a Yoda card as my avatar in honor of our great friend bobbym who has passed away.
May his adventurous soul rest in peace at heaven.

#32 2022-10-15 20:48:53

imcute

gmsc wrote:

For the planets, I had always learned:

My Very Easy Method Just Speeds Up Naming Planets

HAHA THIS IS SO META

#33 2022-10-15 21:27:21

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Planetary mnemonic

An English-language mnemonic which was current in the 1950s was "Men Very Easily Make Jugs Serve Useful Needs, Perhaps" (for Mercury Venus Earth Mars Jupiter Saturn Uranus Neptune Pluto). The structure of this sentence suggests that it may have originated before Pluto's discovery, and can easily be trimmed back to reflect Pluto's demotion to dwarf planet. Another common English-language mnemonic for many years was "My Very Educated (or Eager) Mother Just Served Us Nine Potatoes (or Pizzas)". Other mnemonics include "My Very Elegant Mother Just Sat Upon Nine Porcupines", "My Very Energetic Mother Jumps Skateboards Under Nana's Patio" and "Mary’s violet eyes make Johnnie stay up nights pondering", as well as the apt "My Very Easy Method Just Shows Us Nine Planets", "My Very Efficient Memory Just Stores Up Nine Planets" and "My Very Easy Method Just Speeds Up Naming Planets".

Many of these mnemonics were made obsolete in 2006, however, with the IAU's 2006 definition of planet which reclassified Pluto (as well as Ceres and Eris) as a dwarf planet.

Now, it is just

(all you have to remember now is:) My (Mercury) Very (Venus) Easy (Earth) Method (Mars) Just (Jupiter) Speeds (Saturn) Up (Uranus) Nothing (Neptune).

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#34 2023-12-23 23:12:28

Theemories

i like maths is fun but they can make school is fun bcuz of the physics and chemistry

i dont mean to change ° youguys system
google is angry because i said nonsense
kiss :cool

Theeko neutral

Board footer