Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-20 17:07:34

Calligar

Chatroom

Hi.  Looking through the forum, I have noticed a lot of, talk going on.  I have also seen this idea mentioned and thought I'd ask about it myself...why not add a chatroom.  I've seen things on other forums like chatango, and think that something to that regard would help and make it easier to talk to certain people on the forum when they are having a discussion.

There are always other variables.  -[unknown]
But Nature flies from the infinite, for the infinite is unending or imperfect, and Nature ever seeks an end.  -Aristotle
Everything makes sense, one only needs to figure out how.  -[unknown]

#2 2012-10-21 08:34:03

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Re: Chatroom

Quite true, but then we have a problem moderating it.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#3 2012-10-21 08:52:51

ShivamS

Hi Evan, nice suggestion but it has been disregarded many times before. Why not simply appoint more chat moderators such as Stefy. And almost no one (unless Genius returns) here flames.

#4 2012-10-21 09:45:59

bobbym
bumpkin

I believe I was the first member to suggest that and I was given a good reason why not.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#5 2012-10-21 14:51:41

Calligar

What about IRC?  I didn't think that was hard to moderate...

But Nature flies from the infinite, for the infinite is unending or imperfect, and Nature ever seeks an end.  -Aristotle

#6 2012-10-21 15:12:20

bobbym
bumpkin

You have correctly figured out the reason. We have many young people in here. If they headed into the chat and some undesirable person got in, anything could happen. It is much harder to moderate a chat because it moves so quickly.

#7 2012-10-21 15:33:17

Calligar

Hmm, well what if you restricted it?  Like say you made a certain forum link where only the chatroom would appear that maybe only registered members can access, similar to the catagory, "Members Only."  Perhaps only put it in Members Only or something like that.  Because that way, you can be more sure who you are talking to.  Chatrooms are in no way perfect, but they are more useful for having discussions rather then flooding topics with unrelated discussions.  I know I would personally be more for a chatroom, because there have been quite a few topics I've gone through, they are quite large, but what I notice is that some of them are filled up with unrelated discussions, well, partly filled up anyway.

#8 2012-10-21 15:37:03

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

Of course the decision is for MIF to make but I would be unable to patrol it effectively. People can easily become members and gain access to it. There they could pollute it all they wanted. I would have to remain on it continuously because chat conversations disappear, I would have time for nothing else.

#9 2012-10-21 15:46:14

Calligar

Yeah, I realize it is MIF, it is only a suggestion after all...

People might be able to become members easily, and there might be a lot of members, but how many of these members care to actually get that involved in unrelated discussions.  Most of the time, I see most of the same members posting continuous responses, often tending to get into unrelated discussions.  I do not see this as too unreasonable; again, this is only a suggestion...

Also, yes, chats do disappear, but a chatroom is just for that, talking, discussing things, etc.  You don't need to be on it constantly, because it isn't meant to replace the forum, it is meant for better convenience so members can discuss things with each other if they so choose.  It also lowers the flooding of topics.

#10 2012-10-21 15:58:05

bobbym
bumpkin

We have had to deal with members who would be interested in bothering other members, they would attracted by the no record aspect of the chat.

Most forums that I belong to will not allow unrelated conversation. They are usually a hideous experience for members. This conversation would not be allowed on any of them.

MIF has always seemed to want a more liberal and easy going approach. At least that is my interpretation of him. I follow his lead. The forum was like that before I got here. The purpose is to have a means of communication that is not stifled. Believe me this is the last remaining math forum like that. Sometimes free expression will lead down strange roads.

#11 2012-10-21 16:38:15

Calligar

The point though isn't to take that..."freedom" away, but rather finding a better way of doing it.  I like this forum too, but I don't see it as perfect.  If I didn't like it as much as I did, I wouldn't be on as much.  This forum, well, website in general, is thus far my favorite math one I have seen.  I in no way would want to ruin anything about it either, but I don't see my suggestion as doing it any harm.  My suggestion is merely an idea that I think will help, however, you seem assured that moderating it, even with making it in a members only topic, will still be too much.  Are you so sure of this?

#12 2012-10-21 17:28:26

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

Yes, I am thinking of one member in particular, who comes in here repeatedly, who would adore it. Flame wars, bad language, intimate comments, personal attacks... These are impossible to eliminate on a chat.

#13 2012-10-21 19:58:43

Bob
Administrator

hi

I would prefer it if threads that move off purpose were transferred to a separate area so members can carry on a discourse that is unrelated and the original thread stays on topic.  That way it would be easier to keep track.

Is it possible to split a thread like that?

If not, there's no reason why members who have strayed off topic (and I admit I've done it too) couldn't start a new thread for their 'chat' and put in a link on the original thread.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#14 2012-10-21 22:03:31

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

That is a feature FluxBB does not support. The ability to move a post to another thread.

#15 2012-10-21 22:35:45

Bob
Administrator

hi bobbym,

So we are left with asking members to jump their chat to another thread, so as not to burden the topic thread.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#16 2012-10-21 22:46:17

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi Bob;

Could do that. It would end up just you and I would be doing it. 2 out of 100 is not very good. Currently I am going by the rule with conversations that if the OP complains I delete all of it.

#17 2012-10-22 15:51:47

Calligar

Okay, well I guess its not as good of a suggestion then, but is there no way to have a chatroom work at all?

#18 2012-10-22 19:53:18

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

I do not think so.

#19 2012-10-23 01:34:29

ShivamS

I am one of those who goes off-topic, however it is required. Frankly, if all the conversations here were about mathematics, there would be very few posts. I like Math, hwoever a forum fully comprised of Math-based questions will not be heavily populated.

#20 2012-10-23 01:41:30

bobbym
bumpkin

Yes, so far only a few people have admitted they go off topic.

The thing about a chatroom is that MIF has never put one in and he has been here for 7 years.

#21 2012-10-23 01:42:15

ShivamS

Would he mind if all of us gathered on an un-official chat room on the link I would post somewhere?

Last edited by Shivamcoder3013 (2012-10-23 01:42:26)

#22 2012-10-23 01:52:51

bobbym
bumpkin

I do not know. So far MIF has never said to stop the off topic posting. Anyway, there is always some math talk in those.

#23 2012-10-26 16:05:46

Calligar

I chat about off topic stuff too (or at least I think I do...).  I think pretty much everyone does to some degree, but my point is that I do think it would be helpful if it could be done.  I was giving ideas because I'm not the original one to bring this up, I've seen others like Shivamcoder3013 bring it up in completely different, from what I saw, mostly unrelated topics too.

I'm not however saying that the forum should be strictly about math, if you look at how the forum is set up, it's not designed to be.  But it would also help make some topics better readable.  There's a few topics that you go into, and it's conversation is fine at the beginning, but then it tends to go into a different, unrelated discussion, and it can be a little confusing sometimes if they are even talking about the same topic.  Later on though, there's like 100 pages of unrelated discussion (an exaggeration for some points).  It seems almost futile at that point to even continue to see if there is anything relevant in the topic anymore.

Now off topic conversations are not the only reason I find a chat room to be helpful, that is only one.  However, I don't feel it's worth it yet to get too much into that, because it matters if it can be done in the first place or is even a good idea to begin with.

Would he mind if all of us gathered on an un-official chat room on the link I would post somewhere?

Couldn't you do that exact same thing in something like IRC, create a mathisfun channel?

#24 2012-10-26 20:26:06

bobbym
bumpkin

I do not think he would mind but it would probably not work.

#25 2012-12-09 12:49:41

Mathegocart

Yes.
And heres a point.Wouldnt all the members from the forum go to the chat and the forum would lose attention.Right?

The integral of hope is reality.
May bobbym have a wonderful time in the pearly gates of heaven.
He will be sorely missed.

Board footer