Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#26 2014-03-10 12:02:47

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Re: Find out the fallacy

Hi phro

I was actually making a reference to this.

Last edited by anonimnystefy (2014-03-10 12:03:28)

“Here lies the reader who will never open this book. He is forever dead.
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment
The knowledge of some things as a function of age is a delta function.

#27 2014-03-10 21:14:29

phrontister
Real Member

Hi stefy,

Oh, I see. I don't recall seeing that thread before...which doesn't necessarily mean I didn't see it, but more likely that I skipped it because I never did that kind of maths and wouldn't have been able to follow the arguments.

Actually, that thread shows how to get $1 from $0, not $2 from $1...but that's probably a bit moot.

"The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do." - Ted Nelson

#28 2014-03-10 22:21:48

Bob
Administrator

hi phro,

Yes, you're right but there's a procedure that will soon fix that.  You just need a jacket with two pockets.

Empty one pocket.
As it now has 0 coins, reach in and remove the 1 coin.
Put it in the other pocket.
The first pocket is now empty.
You now have 2 coins.
Bank them.

When you have enough in the bank to live comfortably plus £18,000,000,000 send the latter to the Chancellor of the Exchequer here at 11 Downing Street to pay off the UK national debt.  I'll arrange for the Queen to give you a knighthood and a statue in Trafalgar Square.  smile

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#29 2014-03-11 00:01:06

bobbym
bumpkin

Actually, that thread shows how to get $1 from $0, not $2 from $1...but that's probably a bit moot.

That m guys advice is kaboobly doo. I tried it yesterday. Emptied my pockets and put a single coin in there. Stood outside and flung that one coin high into the air. Checked my pocket and it was empty. Then I waited for something to happen. Something did happen, I was decorated by a pigeon. Checked my pocket again, it remained empty.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#30 2014-03-11 00:09:23

Bob
Administrator

hi bobbym,

Before you dismiss this completely, maybe you should have that pigeon dropping valued.  There's money to be made in guano.  smile

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#31 2014-03-11 00:12:39

bobbym
bumpkin

Now you tell me!

#32 2014-03-11 01:06:36

phrontister
Real Member

I'll need one of you to be my catcher at the money-making event: "he that earneth wages earneth wages to put it into a bag with holes." (Hagai 1:6) sad

That describes to a T my ability to hang onto any money I get, but if you're all in the same dilemma as I am we might as well invite a murder or two of crows around to cash in on the occasion as I'm sure these synanthropes with their predilection for coins would appreciate this opportunity to increase the size of their collections. I wonder what they do with them!

"The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do." - Ted Nelson

#33 2014-03-11 01:10:50

phrontister
Real Member

bob bundy wrote:

When you have enough in the bank to live comfortably plus £18,000,000,000 send the latter to the Chancellor of the Exchequer here at 11 Downing Street to pay off the UK national debt.  I'll arrange for the Queen to give you a knighthood and a statue in Trafalgar Square.  smile

I suppose Greece will be seeking my services next! I'll be busy...must see about getting a passport first, though!

#34 2014-03-11 01:13:14

bobbym
bumpkin

Good quote.

You have seen the mighty crow ensnare a coin in flight?

#35 2014-03-11 01:40:17

phrontister
Real Member

No, I haven't. Having seen The Mighty Crows in flight during an AFL game (Aussie Rules footy) and watching them fumble the ball mid-air as they do, it would indeed be thrilling to see their synanthrope counterpart outperform them! Could find nothing on youtube yet...

Last edited by phrontister (2014-03-11 01:40:53)

#36 2014-03-11 10:18:18

phrontister
Real Member

bob bundy wrote:

You just need a jacket with two pockets.

Empty one pocket.
You now have 2 coins.
Bank them.

When you have enough in the bank to live comfortably plus £18,000,000,000........

Bob

Thanks, Bob, but at a feasible speed of performing those actions I would be much more than very old by the time I got to within a fraction of a sniff of reaching those goals (and the $ to £ exchange rate doesn't help, either)! RSI would get me first, anyway! sad

Board footer