Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-20 02:19:46

ronaldaltic

Possible new discovery

I am an amateur mathematician. I have been interested in numbers for many years; since before the 1980’s. Throughout those years I have made a number of discoveries. Many of them may have been discovered by others before my time. However, these discoveries are part of my memoirs during my work life as a machinist and as an amateur mathematician.

I don’t believe that my most important discovery is known. I have searched the internet and have perused many articles and texts and have not found anything that approaches my discovery.

I’m hoping that I can find someone who can advise me on how to find out if my discovery is new or not.

Try for one day not to speak or even think unkindly of anyone and see what the day will bring

#2 2015-09-20 02:28:03

zetafunc
Website

Re: Possible new discovery

Hello, welcome to the forum. Why not tell us a little bit about your research?

#3 2015-09-20 04:47:56

bobbym
bumpkin

What is the discovery? Sooner or later you are going to have to tell someone. Why not right here?

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#4 2015-09-21 01:56:04

ronaldaltic

Yes, I want to present my findings but I'm not sure how to proceed? Much of my writing and research contains formulas. I have no background in LaTex. Any thoughts or advice?

Try for one day not to speak or even think unkindly of anyone and see what the day will bring

#5 2015-09-21 13:41:48

bobbym
bumpkin

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#6 2015-09-24 02:38:14

zetafunc
Website

Could you give an outline of what your research is about?

#7 2015-09-26 06:52:38

ronaldaltic

My research concerns the Multiplication Table.

Everyone is probably familiar with the grade school multiplication table that is either 10 by 10 or 12 by 12.

Running at a 45 degree angle from the 1 times 1 position is a line of numbers that I call the square line. All of the numbers in that line are perfect squares in order of their occurrence. This line of numbers is infinite. And of course the entire multiplication table is infinite.

There are many patterns in the multiplication table. I have discovered at least one that I’m not sure is known.

If you construct a 90 by 90 multiplication table based on the way numbers end combined with their digital roots you will find 90 patterns of numbers. I have plotted all 90 patterns on Excel worksheets. I have also copied the worksheets to Word documents for analysis and comparison. This research along with my conclusions has taken a number of years. I will discuss the 90 patterns further on down.

Research into the multiplication table came about as a result of the age old search for the identification of prime numbers. On the multiplication table prime numbers can only be found on the top most row and on the left most column. Yet, there many numbers on the multiplication table that have two characteristics that prime numbers have.

Prime numbers have two characteristics that are important for this discussion. Except for the numbers 2 and 5, one characteristic of prime numbers is that they all end in 1, 3, 7 or 9. A second characteristic of prime numbers that is important for this discussion is that their digital roots are not 3, 6 or 9. Numbers with digital roots of 3, 6 or 9 are divisible by 3. So, the digital root of a prime number can only be 1, 2, 4, 5, 7 or 8.

Curiosity led to a search of the Multiplication Table. The object was to see where the numbers, that had the two characteristics described above, would fall out on the multiplication table.

The preliminary search indicated that there seemed to be some kind of pattern to the numbers that had these two characteristics.

It was quickly realized, though, that the numbers would become large so quickly that they wouldn’t fit within the individual cells on the table. So the decision was made to search the table using the digital roots of the numbers.

Working with a large sheet of graph paper an attempt was made to see where numbers which end in 1, 3, 7 or 9 with digital roots of 1, 2, 4, 5, 7 or 8, fall out on the multiplication table. After some trial and error and a few false starts, working with all of the endings and all of the digital roots, a new approach was devised.

To reduce confusion the new approach used only one ending and only one digital root. I selected Numbers ending in 1 with a Digital Root of 2. What prompted me to choose that particular combination of ending and digital root was that I needed a number that I knew would not be a prime number and that had the two characteristics being researched. The number 1001 fit the bill nicely. It is the product of 7 X 11 X 13.

Anyway, after working for a few hours I noticed that a pattern was emerging. When arbitrary lines were drawn between some of the points, a geometric pattern emerged that looked like a “Y”. More lines were drawn and revealed another shape that looked like an upside down “Y”. I cannot show it here, but the two “Y” patterns are orientated at a 45 degree angle and are in line with the so called square line.
After more of these Y’s were found I joked with my friend, “Well we might not solve the Prime Number Problem but we sure do have a nice wallpaper pattern.”

The first two Y’s made it easier to locate more of the positions of numbers that ended in 1 with a digital root of 2. And it soon became apparent that these Y’s would continue infinitely down through the multiplication table at the same 45 degree angle as is the Square Line.

Now the square line is also the demarcation line that divides the multiplication table into mirror images. All of the numbers that proceed outward to the right of the square line are the exact mirror image of all of the numbers that proceed downward from the square line. The square line itself is unique.

It came to notice also that the same “Y” pattern would repeat itself over and over again outward to the right of the square line and downward from the square line. And it was observed that the “Y” patterns that faced each other would repeat themselves over and over again.

Arbitrary lines were constructed dividing the repeating “Y” patterns into groups similar to the way the square line did. The first number on the first arbitrary line is 91. More studies further out on the table revealed that the next line would start at 181 and the line beyond that would start at 271.

An epiphany occurred. It was perceived that any 90 by 90 block of numbers that started with a multiple of 90 + 1 would have the same pattern as any other 90 by 90 block of numbers. This has been checked out on Excel worksheets and proves to be true.
I said earlier that I would further discuss the 90 patterns and I will.
But first, since I have not yet learned LaTex, I am having to copy bits and pieces from my many pages of research. And I cannot copy and paste any charts or Excel worksheets to Math is Fun.
So, I would be willing to email my texts and charts to serious investigators like Bobbym and Zetafunc and perhaps others.

Other concerns:
I think I will be able to understand syntax and procedure in using LaTex itself.
But I have some questions.
Where can I practice during my learning process?
Can I do this on a Word document?
How do I display output and where?

I have been reading from Getting Started with LaTex by David R. Wilkins
I read this quote “Having created the input file, one then has to run it through the LaTeX program and then print it out the resulting output file (known as a `DVI' file).”
How does one run it through the LaTeX program?
Hoping for some advice.
Ron Altic

Last edited by ronaldaltic (2015-10-25 10:26:09)

#8 2015-09-26 08:14:06

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi ronaldaltic,

Welcome to the forum!

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#9 2015-09-26 17:20:40

David

Hey, try to post your findings on www.weebly.com

His dominion is an everlasting dominion, Which shall not pass away, And His kingdom the one Which shall not be destroyed.

#10 2015-09-26 19:38:00

Bob
Administrator

hi Ron,

There is a Latex tutorial here:

http://www.mathisfunforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=4397

You can do what others have done and practise by adding another post at the end.  Or you can just 'preview' what you've done to see if it works.

You can construct Latex here:

http://latex.codecogs.com/eqneditor/editor.php

If I want to post an image (from Excel or elsewhere) , here's what I do.

(1) FN PRTSC will make a copy of the screen graphics and put it on the clipboard.  PCs vary as to exactly which key combination will do this so you may have to experiment a bit.  The PRTSC button is usually located on the top row towards the right of the keyboard.

(2) Paste it into an image editor such as 'Paint'.  Crop out the unwanted borders.  Save the image.

(3) Join an on-line image storage site such as imgur.com

(4) Upload the image.

(5) Look for the BBCode link of that image and copy it into your post.

Hope that helps,

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#11 2015-09-26 20:32:22

David

Or you can use the snipping tool in windows.

His dominion is an everlasting dominion, Which shall not pass away, And His kingdom the one Which shall not be destroyed.

Board footer