Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-11-19 11:33:10

dougcl

I hate math

I'm an adult who never really did any math past basic, took and retook algebra 1&2 three times each....I am trying to grasp the concept of factoring but I cannot understand the concept of the difference/sum of cubes/squares and applying the formula to it....It makes no sense to me. Maybe me taking it over is because of an intolerance of tedious work as well as learning disabilities.....I was wanting to do engineering but the math made me discard the idea immediately....

#2 2016-11-19 12:42:49

evene

Re: I hate math

Do you have a specific question?

Factoring isn't too difficult. You just need to experiment around with it a bit.

#3 2016-11-19 13:19:34

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: I hate math

Hi;

I hate it too. Remember, math is a four letter word and should be outlawed. But we sometimes have to do what we hate. What sometimes? We are forced to do things we hate every waking hour. In the immortal words of the Wicked Witch of the West after Dorothy cooled her off with that big bucket of water, "what a world, what a world."

Post your problems and you will see that although math is spumy, it is possible to do.

I was wanting to do engineering but the math made me discard the idea immediately

Knew a kid named J.R. He was the dumbest kid in the class. Everyone hated him because he was always forcing the teacher to repeat the same thing over and over because he just could not get it. Mostly, I just fell asleep during these exchanges.

Years later, I ran into him again and he said he was going to the Aqueduct in Queens. He said he liked to play the horses a bit so I tagged along. What amazed me was how he could figure the payoffs on all those complicated to me propositions. I realized that the dummy could calculate odds in his head and now knew more probability than I did. He could not focus in school but when he could, he was frightening.

There are two kinds of people in math forums. Those who have experience and those who do not. Someday, you may find the right thing that turns you on to gain that experience.

You just need to experiment around with it a bit.

Spoken like a true EM guy.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

Board footer