Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-30 07:25:31

kayla1dance

Geometry

Hello again,

This is my last lesson, so you won't hear from me for awhile! LOL
Anyways, I got 18/20 on this lesson and I was wondering if you could help me revise the 2 I got wrong.

#8:  I originally chose B and this was incorrect. Is the correct answer D?

Select which statement is true about the relationship between the measures of angle A and angle B in the diagram shown.

A The measure of angle A greater than the measure of angle B.
B The measure of angle B is greater than the measure of A.
C The measure of angle A is equal to the measure of angle B.
D Cannot be determined without any other calculations.

#12: I originally chose D and that was incorrect. I am unsure of what the new answer could be.

How does the sum of the exterior angles of a square compare to the sum of the exterior angles of a pentagon?

A The sum of the exterior angles of a square is greater.
B The sum of the exterior angles of a pentagon is greater.
C The two sums are equal.
D There is not enough information to compare the two sums.

THANK YOU AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP,

Kayla

#2 2018-03-30 07:57:45

bob bundy
Administrator

Re: Geometry

Hi,

I cannot do 8 without seeing the diagram!

The exterior angles of any polygon always add up to 360'  Imagine an ant walking around the perimeter.  Each time she gets to a corner, she turns through an angle.  After the whole trip she has turned all the way round ie. 360 degrees.  It doesn't matter how many corners there were.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei

#3 2018-04-02 04:18:33

kayla1dance

Hello,

Sorry about that. Here is a link to the diagram on #8. https://imgur.com/kzlP0VH

For #12, would the answer be C, the two sums are equal.

Thank you,

Kayla

#4 2018-04-02 08:31:56

bob bundy
Administrator

Q12 yes.

I'll look at the diagram tomorrow when I have my laptop.

Bob

You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei

#5 2018-04-02 11:29:58

kayla1dance

Hello,

Okay! Thank you so much. Take your time.

Kayla

#6 2018-04-03 01:10:11

bob bundy
Administrator

hi Kayla,

I've had  a chance to view the diagram.  It has no letters so I've added some to the points in a way that I think fits the question:

2dMLdjl.gif

If you compare triangles ACD and BCD:

They have  a side in common, CD
They have equal angles CDA = CDB = 90
They have equal sides AD = DB = 45

So these triangles are congruent (ie. exactly equal in all measures)

So angle CAD = CBD (=45 degrees)

Once again I have to criticise the question as set.  Why have lengths that are equal numerically to angles.  The question still works if AD = DB = 87 (say).

Bob

ps.  If you had put [img].....[/img]  around your https link the diagram would have appeared in your post.

#7 2018-04-03 04:03:18

kayla1dance

Hello,

So, the new answer would be C because both angle A and angle B are congruent and equal in measure

Thank you for making the diagram. I am a visual learner, so that helps me a lot.

Thank you for your time,

Kayla

#8 2018-04-05 06:08:39

kayla1dance

Hello,

The answer C was incorrect. Aren't the two angles equal though?

Now, the answer must be either A or B and I am confused on how or why one angle would be bigger than another.

Thank you,

Kayla

#9 2018-04-05 20:19:11

bob bundy
Administrator

Kayla,

Yes.  So maybe we aren't doing the right question.  It bothered me that your diagram had no lettering and I had to make up which points are which.  I'm guessing that there were other questions that also related to the diagram.  Otherwise what is 'x' doing there.  So have a look back and post the whole set of questions that relate to the diagram and also try to sort out what A and B should be in the diagram.  Then I'll try to make sense of this.

Bob

#10 2018-04-06 04:18:28

kayla1dance

Hello,

The questions related to the diagram are questions #8 and #9.

imghttps://imgur.com/1g26b37/img

I got #9 correct and it was B. 45 degrees. So, x = 45.

Thank you,

Kayla

#11 2018-04-06 05:56:54

bob bundy
Administrator

hi Kayla,

Thanks for the complete question.  Using my lettering CDA is isosceles so CD = AD = 45, so I'm glad you said answer B for Q9.

But how are you supposed to do Q8 when the diagram has no letters at all ?  Email your  teacher and ask which points are A and B ?  As it stands the question cannot be answered as we don't know this.

Bob

ps.  Sorry.  Those instructions for Imgur were incomplete.  Log in and upload your image.  Then click your username, and then images,  to get a view of all your uploads.  Click the one you want and on the right hand side you'll see a set of codes for different purposes.  The one you need is called BBcode.  It has the  tags already in the code so just copy it in full to your post and the image should appear in the post when you submit.

#12 2018-04-09 04:30:53

kayla1dance

Hello,

I chose D for my answer. I chose this since we are unaware of what A and B are, so that means we it cannot be determined without any other calculations, which is answer D. I will let you know if this is correct.

Kayla

Board footer