Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-11-15 10:26:41

luca-deltodesco

A Complete Documentation Of Mathematics

someone i know is currently writing this for reasons oblivous to me, but none the less, its pretty cool, he still has a long way to go with it tongue

http://stylebucket.co.uk/book.php

The Beginning Of All Things To End.
The End Of All Things To Come.

#2 2006-11-15 11:07:03

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Re: A Complete Documentation Of Mathematics

Very neatly formatted. Explanations are clear. Mostly Sets so far.

Of course there is Wikipedia and Mathworld for documentation.

It would be nice if he contributed to this site - I am working on some Sets pages when I get a chance ("set notation", "definition of function" and "domain, range, codomain"). But my aim is to make "explanation" pages - graphics, animations, examples. But I never have enough time sad

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#3 2006-11-15 14:35:22

Ricky

I agree with MathIsFun.  Or at least I think I do, I may be putting words in your mouth.

Documentation is great.  But teaching materials are better.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#4 2006-11-17 07:28:23

Patrick
Real Member

Ricky wrote:

Documentation is great.  But teaching materials are better.

I think you're right, but it's of my understanding that teaching materials are based on documentation. I get your point though.

On the ''book'' itself: I think it's good all in all. There are some typos and unfinished sentences here and there though. It actually looks a lot like a file I'm making, for self-use, as I learn new stuff. He could improve the graphics a bit though(figures), looks a little too 'paint'-ish. I'm pretty sure I had something else to add; it's gone now, however.

Support MathsIsFun.com by clicking on the banners.
What music do I listen to? Clicky click

Board footer