Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-01 08:25:07

Andrew_

Integral Proof

Hello,

First I would aprreciate if anyone can confirm that the following integral equation is true :

a is a certain parameter and p and q are constants.

If true then any ideas on how this can be proved ?

#2 2009-01-01 11:12:15

mathsyperson

Re: Integral Proof

Well, since p and q are constant, dp/da and dq/da are both zero and so the only the first term of the right-hand side is important.

So now the only difference between the left and right side is in the order of the operations. I'm fairly sure that the order doesn't affect the value they take though.

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#3 2009-01-01 11:54:00

Daniel123

It wouldn't have anything to do with this, would it? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differentiation_under_the_integral_sign

#4 2009-01-02 07:45:38

Andrew_

Thanks a million guys .... wikipedia has it all.

#5 2009-01-02 07:48:38

Andrew_

mathsyperson wrote:

Well, since p and q are constant, dp/da and dq/da are both zero and so the only the first term of the right-hand side is important.

So now the only difference between the left and right side is in the order of the operations. I'm fairly sure that the order doesn't affect the value they take though.

You're right . The integrals Im working with in the kinetical molecular theory are gaussian, and yes I can substitute d/da for the integral and solve. However I was looking for some proof of the more general solution and wikipedia has just that.

Board footer