Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-04 11:47:23

Chrysostomou

Simulation- Probability/collisions

I have to do this question as a part of my homework but I have confuse. I m not sure about the first part of this question, and i m really confuse for part iii. I have attach the spreadsheet with the probability and the work that I have done. Any advice can help

Set up the simulator so that there are two routes, with a SPAD probability of 0.5 on each route. Route 1 has a random start - initially with a start probability of 1. On route 2 the signal position has been moved back to 22 so that a SPAD can only result in a collision if there is leaf mulch and the probability of leaf mulch is set to 0.5. (For this simulation, we are assuming that visibility is good).

(i) Use a tree diagram to calculate the number of collisions that would be expected in 16  train rides if train 1 always started on time (ie with "start probability" set to 1). 

(ii) Set the start probability to 1 and run the simulator 5 times 

After each run you should have a column of 10 numbers, each representing the  number of collisions in 16 train rides. Average these and record the result. After 5  runs of the simulator you will thus have 5 averages. Perform a suitable statistical test  to determine whether these are in agreement with the number you have calculated  in (i)

(iii) Alter the start probability until the number of collisions halves. Give suitable  evidence from your simulator results to show that the number of collisions has  halved. Explain theoretically why the start probability you have found has halved the  number of collisions.

(iv) Use the probability you have found in (iii) for a random start on both routes. What  effect does this have on the number of collisions? Can you explain this theoretically?

Last edited by Chrysostomou (2010-05-04 11:49:02)

Board footer