Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-03 06:57:16

micael

Registrations now OPEN: 5th International Mental Maths Competition

Dear Colleagues,

We are writing to advertise our *5th International superTmatik Mental Maths Competition*. This is an international mathematics competition for primary and secondary school students (6 - 15 years). In only four years it has become a key event in the teaching of mathematics. Widespread participation of schools in this innovative educational competition, combining mental challenge with play, has been instrumental in helping students overcome traditional obstacles in learning mathematics.

The central principle of this championship is to develop student competence in mathematics from the start of schooling by constructive play, thereby motivating and involving them in the learning process. The main objectives of the championship are to: promote interest in mental maths; develop skills in number and mental maths; reinforce the learning of mathematics through play; and discover and celebrate talent in mental calculation.

superTmatik =  Differentiation in teaching + Greater motivation + ICT in the classroom +  FUN

What is the superTmatik mental maths game?
superTmatik is a developmental, teaching card game aimed at motivating students to learn and enjoy maths. The product of innovative ingenuity, the superTmatik mental maths game is in essence a key teaching tool to improve calculation skills. It is fully differentiated, catering not only for different age groups, but also different levels of ability.

For your students to participate, all you need to do is to register your school for entry into the competition. This is a very easy process. Once your school has been registered, the next step is to teach students how to play the game and allow them to practise with their peers. The initial stages of the competition are played within the school, and the names of the school finalists are then sent to the game organisers to be entered to play in the National and International Online competition. Please visit our webpage for more information. If your school does not have a mental maths game, you can acquire a superTmatik mental maths card game free of charge. That is all you need to get started! Your students can also practise online. This is a brilliant way to include both ICT and fun activities in your teaching programme.

More information and registration forms are available on the competition website: www.mentalmathcompetition.com.
Please email info@mentalmathcompetition.com for further information.

Last edited by micael (2010-10-03 06:59:36)

#2 2010-10-03 08:26:04

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: Registrations now OPEN: 5th International Mental Maths Competition

Hi micael;

This concept is very confusing to me. Of what value is mental math? I still do not know!

micael wrote:

reinforce the learning of mathematics through play

While I agree tremendously with that statement. I am much less sure about this one.

micael wrote:

and discover and celebrate talent in mental calculation.

Why? I used to have terrific mental math skills ( deteriorates with age ).
I can assure you that they in no way assist in understanding Set theory for instance.
Many of todays package gurus actively discourage mental math in favor of calculators and computers. I read a fantastic paper by one of the leading developers of Mathematica saying pretty much that mental math is obsolete.

While I do not like the alarming trend of people turning to calculators for 7 * 5 or for getting the average of 35,40, and 45. I can in in no way verify that mental math increases math aptitude.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2010-10-26 14:29:08

thewordalive

hi, i'd like to enter this competition (i'm 14), but it seems too much like a game rather than a serious competition.. the real joy in mathematics is not fast calculation, but rather the arts of numbers and shapes. I'm currently studying projective geometry and modular arithmetic (in Diophantine equations, to be precise) ; and i notice that fast calculation is most nearly pointless the further you advance into mathematics. In pure mathematics, it's great to be able to do fast calculations. In applied mathematics (simple or difficult), you will almost never do unassisted work (without a calculator or programs).

By the way, bobbym, I think this is a great site for all kinds of maths! However i was looking for a section where maybe i could learn totally new things, rather than just reading others' posts on their confusion (even though it's fun to help others out! big_smile ) Do you think you could maybe add a section dedicated to materials for learning and advancing in mathematics, such as articles or short explanations on advanced (college) non-calculus mathematics? It's just a thought; I'd greatly appreciate it!

-Daniel

#4 2010-10-26 14:32:53

thewordalive

nevermind, i looked into this competition and saw that this totally digresses from the point in mathematics. =\ Too much competition for the non-important things in math destroys the fun in mathematical research. The real stuff is IMO stuff =]

#5 2010-10-26 15:30:10

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi Daniel;

Welcome to the forum!

In pure mathematics, it's great to be able to do fast calculations. In applied mathematics (simple or difficult), .

I have said many times I have supported both sides of this question. The only thing that indicates is that both conclusions must be wrong. Although people who cannot add 3 one digit numbers, loudly assure us that it has no place in math it pays to remember that Archimedes, Newton , Gauss and Euler were prodigious human calculators. Mental calculations remind me of speed chess all the greats can and could do it.

you will almost never do unassisted work (without a calculator or programs)

I wish that were true but it is not always.

By the way, bobbym, I think this is a great site for all kinds of maths! However i was looking for a section where maybe i could learn totally new things, rather than just reading others' posts on their confusion (even though it's fun to help others out! big_smile )

I think so too. But solving problems in my view is the meat of math. Helping others when you can is rewarding in more ways than I can itemize.

Do you think you could maybe add a section dedicated to materials for learning and advancing in mathematics, such as articles or short explanations on advanced (college) non-calculus mathematics? It's just a thought; I'd greatly appreciate it!

Now that is the meat of your post. There are two reasons why I cannot attempt that.

1) I am not qualified.
2) I am the latest moderator and as such I do not even have my own thread.

Anyway good to talk to you, Daniel.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

Board footer