Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-01 15:33:22

znsprdx

BINGS - oh?

Regarding the total number of possible BINGO cards, having no value repeated....

Clearly for columns B,I,G,& O 5 numbers in random order out of 15 possible may be selected i.e.3003 each
For column 'N' since only 4 values are chosen, then = 1365  However perhaps not choosing a central value is a choice?

Now are the results for each column added or multiplied by each other?
If values are allowed to repeat but not ever in the same position: how does one proceed in order to determine the total number of possible cards?

Intuitively I sense that I'm dealing with an anomaly wherein combinations are involved where order does in fact matter
I've done some research and found both absurd and incongruous answers...am I at least correct in concluding the solution(s) are far from obvious?

Thank-you in advance for your consideration

#2 2010-12-01 16:37:47

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: BINGS - oh?

Hi znsprdx;

znsprdx wrote:

I've done some research and found both absurd and incongruous answers...am I at least correct in concluding the solution(s) are far from obvious?

Welcome to the forum. I could be missing a lot here but I do not think there is anything anomalous about this calculation at all.

This is how I would do it.

Number of cards:

You will often see it quoted as 552,446,474,061,129,000,000,000,000 cards which is a rounded off answer.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

Board footer