Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-24 12:31:24

NRG

Boolean algebra.

Hi guys,

I'm trying to show this equivalence using boolean algebra, but I'm completely stumped. (I've spent about 20 hours and have got nowhere).

Any clues on where to start? I've tried rewriting -> as a first step as well as extended de morgan(i), but I've been at this for so long now I'm beginning to wonder whether de morgan was lying.dunno

Regards

#2 2011-03-24 14:11:04

gAr

Re: Boolean algebra.

Hi NRG,

Did you try:

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense"  - Buddha?

"Data! Data! Data!" he cried impatiently. "I can't make bricks without clay."

#3 2011-03-25 00:44:33

NRG

Hi,

Yes, that has been the first step I have taken in most of my attempts. (It seems like this is just trial and error..)

So I have this:

Step 1: re-writing ->

(And that's more or less where I come undone.)

Step 2: Extended De Morgan(i)

I think I'm negating wrong with that step, I don't know whether to negate the whole expression like I have, or to negate p(x) and (-qx or r(x) separately, or to negate each term separately.

I've tried all of those anyway..

#4 2011-03-25 02:25:25

gAr

Hi,

I don't remember the name of the rules!

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense"  - Buddha?

#5 2011-03-25 04:19:28

NRG

gAr wrote:

Hi,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't remember the name of the rules!

Thanks!

The line is where I was getting stuck every time. I was not applying De Morgan's law here because I thought that since p(x) was preceded by ¬ I was not allowed!

Using what you've written I've finally understood that the law applies to single.. as well as boolean expressions such as ¬p(x)

Thanks again.

NRG

#6 2011-03-25 04:40:30

gAr

Hi NRG,

You're welcome. Good to know that you understood.
Double negations simply cancel out.

Board footer