Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-04 08:06:28

JoeInRaleigh

Equation Help

All,

I am trying to understand the answer to the following equation when solving for m.

5 m - q = r m + c

I know the answer is m = (c+q)/(5-r). What I dont understand is the entire process so I know Im missing some fundamental skill here. I know you must first isolate m. So in my first step I would make the equation look like the following:

5 m - q + q = r m + c + q

=

5m = rm + c + q

Here is where I get stuck. I imagine I need to move the rm over to the left and then use distributive properties to isolate m and move the 5 and r back to the right. Im just not sure how this works out in a step by step way. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

#2 2011-10-04 08:12:08

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: Equation Help

Hi JoeInRaleigh;

Divide both sides by ( 5 - r )

Welcome to the forum!

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2011-10-04 08:26:00

JoeInRaleigh

Awesome! Thanks. So my thinking was that I needed to divide the left side of the equation by rm when moving it left instead of subtracting and using the distributive property for multiplication. I guess since there was no coefficient for rm I wouldn't have to do that. Thanks for the help! Math has always been a challenge for me. Trying to re educate myself in older age.

#4 2011-10-04 08:29:24

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

Glad to help!

Trying to re educate myself in older age.

Education never stops. Old age is as good  a time as any. By the way, no one is older than I am.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

Board footer