Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2005-10-06 17:20:18

njkidd

Math Study Tips...

I can't log in somehow, so ill just write it as a guest.

Ok, so my teacher just told me that i am getting "F" in my Algebra II Honors class... (64%)...

Right now, i am also taking Geometry Honors, but i am getting a perfect grade. (99%).

I am taking double math, because i want to finish Calculus b/f going to college.

Oh man... i cannot believe it.

So i want to hear some tips to study math.

Thank you.

#2 2005-10-06 20:50:22

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Re: Math Study Tips...

Understand the logic. Learn the techniques. Remember the formulae. Practice methods of proving. Most important, hone your calculation skills and never forget the fundamental concepts.
big_smile big_smile big_smile

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#3 2005-10-06 21:29:11

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Can't log in? Do you want me to send you a new password or something at your gmail address?

99% for Geometry? Excellent!

What ganesh says is pretty right ... techniques are important, and practice, practice, practice.

I was dying in one math subject when I was at Uni. I got an old exam and tested myself at home - and failed. I realised I was just guessing at solutions, so I had to turn around and study every little bit again and make sure I understood how it worked, and then practiced until I could follow a more exact method for solution.

I found that writing down the elements of the question helped a lot. So I followed a 3-stage process I guess - stage 1: state the problem clearly, stage 2: formulate an attack, stage 3: execute.

But then everyone has a unique mind smile

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#4 2005-10-07 00:20:28

wcy

one more thing -- get enough sleep before the exam, a clear mind is important for maximum concentration

#5 2005-10-07 09:39:32

njkidd

Thanks guys.

#6 2005-10-07 15:54:05

Flowers4Carlos

in a high school calculus class, do they cover all three semesters of calculus (differentiable, integral, multivariable) or just what??  and why are you in a hurry to finish math?

as for study tips... erm... read the book.  then read it again.

#7 2005-10-07 16:11:25

njkidd

Flowers4Carlos wrote:

in a high school calculus class, do they cover all three semesters of calculus (differentiable, integral, multivariable) or just what??  and why are you in a hurry to finish math?

as for study tips... erm... read the book.  then read it again.

I moved here to United States like 2 years ago from Japan. I was misplaced in Math class, and i just want to catch up. Plus my dream is to become a vet, and they require Lots of maths... its gonna be hard for me, but i least i can challenge.

#8 2005-10-09 14:53:46

seiya_001

bro what you need in math is actually simple: PRACTICE...!! unlike other subject thatwe can understand by just reading them, math is something that YOU have to DO by yourself... only then you can understand it... and trust me, you're not alone... smile

Last edited by seiya_001 (2005-10-09 14:54:11)

"If you can't have more age in your life, then have more life in your age..

#9 2005-10-11 07:49:58

njkidd

Hey thanks again guys. Ill try my best!

Board footer