Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-19 19:24:49

Tobaifo

Ohai Thar

I'm new, but that's already a given.

Back then, I liked math because there is a lot of application to it. I learned math to solve problems, not learn math because of problems.

Currently, I like both the learning for the sake of learning, and the real life applications.

I like figuring out math on my own, and consider explanations of how to do certain things as "spoilers".

I'm a thinker that connects information to draw conclusions, run tests to see patterns, and run tests to confirm my conclusions.

On the contrary, I'm a very bad memorizer.

Because of the two traits above, I like to know the reasons behind math, not simply memorizing a big equation or concept with no rhyme or reason. I think I would prefer that even with great memory.

Um, that's all I can think of for now... Ask away, I guess?

#2 2013-01-19 21:02:31

Bob
Administrator

Re: Ohai Thar

hi Tobaifo

Welcome to the forum.

I have trouble remembering too.  I think it has made me a better mathematician as I constantly have to 're-prove' the formulas I want to use.

I cannot do speed tests though.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2013-01-19 22:03:22

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

I learned math to solve problems,

Me too!

On the contrary, I'm a very bad memorizer.

I have a poor memory for mathematics too and I must say this is a major stumbling block to improvement. The time it takes to re-solve that which you already knew a week ago will always hold you back. In the real world people will always be beating you to the answer, this is disastrous in industry.

The solution? Keep accurate notes. Every problem you solve, write it up neatly and well documented. Develop a good file system so you can find these notes.

The palest ink is more powerful than the strongest memory.

Now you will have the best memory and the great speed that comes with it.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#4 2013-01-20 17:20:11

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi Tobaifo,

Welcome to the forum!

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

Board footer