Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-17 21:18:54

coolguy911

Urgent reply required for a challenging problem

Hi guys

I recently moved to australia and here the rentals are taken per week rather than per month
I had enquired with a guy who had advertised his flat at AUD 200 per week
Here we can have a tenancy of fixed period like 3 months, so that person send me below calculation of the rent he's going to charge me

Below is what he wrote

------------------------------------------------------------
Rent per week = AUD 200
Annual rent = Weekly rent  x 52

$200 x 52 = $10,400
Monthly rent payment = Annual rent/months per year
$10,400/12 = 866.67
If a tenant makes 12 payments of $866.67 the total rent is $10,400 This is the same as 52 payments of $200.

------------------------------------

Now what my expectation is rent per week is $200  but by above calculation he is expecting rent of --- 866.67 monthly - rent per week = $ 216

I know he's trying to confuse and fool me in figures what what's the logic in his calculation
Kindly suggest as I want to give him a befitting reply

Thanks
PLZZZZZZZ ANSWER

#2 2014-08-17 22:53:23

Bob
Administrator

Re: Urgent reply required for a challenging problem

hi coolguy911

Welcome to the forum.  smile

There's nothing wrong with the arithmetic.  He's manipulating the figures because most months are longer than 4 weeks.  If you want to take the place, offer him 200 per week (as advertised) or 866.67 per calendar month.  If he tries to cheat you over this, what's he going to be like when something he is responsible for (drains, faulty electrics etc) goes wrong.  So the alternative is to walk away.

Hope you get it sorted.

Bob

ps.  First flat I rented had a slot machine for paying in advance for electricity.  In my innocence I had assumed that the electric company emptied it when they came to call.  Then I came back one day to find the landlord had been in and adjusted the machine so that it gave less electricity for each coin.  He paid the company and pocketed the difference.  We had quite a row.  smile

pps  As there are 365 days in a year and 7 days in a week, 365/7 = 52.14 weeks. 

10400/52.14 = 199.45 / week, so you could offer him that.  roflol

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

Board footer