Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-09-07 08:39:10

Nick Heyward

This Permutation should be easy, but...

I'll tell myself it's so easy I can't understand it! tongue But please help -

I have two choices of settings, with seven choices underneath each, how many possible combinations?

In detail, for a message board,

Show Top Kudo'd Posts - The last 24 hours, 7 days, 30 days, 6 months, last year, All Time, or Default (last 30 days)

Show Top Kudo's Authors - The last 24 hours, 7 days, 30 days, 6 months, last year, All Time, or Default (last 30 days)

Since there's a Default choice repeated I'm not sure if that's actually a seventh choice or not but I'll assume it is.

I'll pull my disability card and mention I've had a couple of strokes at a young age, I think certain math was erased from my brain. smile

Thanks!

#2 2014-09-07 08:45:41

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: This Permutation should be easy, but...

Hi;

I am not following, can you show an example?

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2014-09-07 08:58:17

Nick Heyward

Yep, sorry, I have a pic and wasn't sure how to attach it. Here's a direct link to my Photobucket pic -

kudos.jpg

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af3 … /kudos.jpg

Last edited by Nick Heyward (2014-09-07 10:47:51)

#4 2014-09-07 10:47:06

Nick Heyward

Mind you I am still trying to figure this out on my own but without luck. I suppose another way of putting it would be you have to eat an apple and an orange. Both the apple and the orange come in seven different varieties/flavors. How many combinations could you arrange to eat? Is that the right track?

#5 2014-09-07 17:58:18

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

I put the image in your post. I see 2 categories with 7 choices each. The would give 7 x 7 = 49 different choices.

#6 2014-09-07 18:15:15

Nick Heyward

Thanks so much! So there's 49 different ways I could check the boxes? When I put it in the food example somehow that was easier on my brain and 49 was one of the answers but not the only one. It's maddening to get older and not have the math cells in your brain still working. Movie trivia, I still have ALL of that somehow! Plus "possible combination" problems can be tricky sometimes they look easy, as this was, sometimes there's 10,000 possible combinations. Wish I could pay you back, besides Thank You! smile

#7 2014-09-07 18:27:52

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

You are welcome. Payment is not necessary, my relatives are all billionaires and sooner or later I am confident that they will invite me over to their mansion for dinner as long as I leave early, speak only when spoken to, do not request seconds, and use the servants entrance. Anyway, welcome to the forum.

Board footer