Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-12-06 07:45:00

Zer0

Need some help with self-studying.

I want to self-study geometry and Trigonometry, but I'm not sure how to go about truly making sure I understand the material once I start studying. Do I need to find an exam to make sure I know it or if I just get to the point where I can solve problems in each section without help from examples in the book is that enough? Could I just post here and be asked geometry questions once I've actually started studying the book?

#2 2015-12-06 08:36:14

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: Need some help with self-studying.

Hi;

Do I need to find an exam to make sure I know it or if I just get to the point where I can solve problems in each section without help from examples in the book is that enough?

That would depend. Most exams in my opinion do not accurately gauge how much you understand. Book problems are too contrived and in no way reflect whether or not you will be able to solve a real world problem. Working on problems that you can find on this forum and others is a much better test of your capabilities. When you get to the point that you can solve questions that you yourself make up then you are ready.

Could I just post here and be asked geometry questions once I've actually started studying the book?

Of course you can, that is why the place is here. But when you ask a question show your thoughts and work too.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2015-12-06 23:48:39

Bob
Administrator

Re: Need some help with self-studying.

hi Zer0

When you have an exam to work towards you get a syllabus which tells you the topics to study.  I like the idea that you just want to learn for the fun of it and I'll happily help where I can.  But what is your topic list?  I suggest you go here:

http://www.mathsisfun.com/geometry/index.html

and then come to the forum when you need help.

Best wishes.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

Board footer