Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-06 23:20:09

johnnymc

Complex numbers - geometric mapping question

Well I have a question that is "identify the two interesting points in the picture for the function f(z) = z + 1/z. Explain your answer." where it refers to the tool here:

http://rotormind.com/projects/codework/conformal/

I was told that the 2 interesting points that we must find/prove are:
efrAo.png

additionally, there was a hint that the quadratic formula may be useful.

I was also told that I did not need to know anything about conformal mapping and that high school mathematics would enable me to do this question. So my question is  how can I find these points algebraically(they look like -2 and 2)?

note that the solution should not be overly complex as the knowledge required for this is high school maths (including basic complex numbers) and no knowledge of conformal mapping should be shown/used

Thanks!

#2 2016-04-07 05:35:33

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: Complex numbers - geometric mapping question

Hi;

You have already asked this question at the SE as well as a few others. I believe you are the member user6156388 over at the SE. This is close to crossposting which causes duplication of work. It is generally frowned upon.

If your teacher assigned this there must be some reason why he/she expects that you will be able to solve it. Please show a bit more about what you know, why you feel this can be reduced to a quadratic, what is a special point, what similar problems you worked on, etc.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

Board footer