Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-27 23:36:23

iamaditya

Method to prove that D--i*st...ill**ed Water is not bad for health

Hi bobbym,
As you told me, I created a new post here. Now please tell me the method to prove that what scientist told about drinking DW is wrong. Check this link:
http://www.mercola.com/article/water/di … _water.htm
http://www.waterbenefitshealth.com/drin … water.html

Practice makes a man perfect.
There is no substitute to hard work
All of us do not have equal talents but everybody has equal oppurtunities to build their talents.-APJ Abdul Kalam

#2 2017-03-28 09:48:40

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: Method to prove that D--i*st...ill**ed Water is not bad for health

Hi;

The title is incorrect. I would never say I could prove that. I said if this demineralization effect is true there is a rather easy way to negate its effects in my view.

Believe it or not this is a very broad topic. For every doctor or paid hired gun scientist they can produce I can find forums like this one with real people saying that what they are saying is pure kaboobly doo. Can we be certain who is right? No we can not. Certainty does not exist in the real world. Only in religion do we have certainty, the knowledge that we are right. Whether this is a delusion or not is another subject.

I do not separate history from math or anything else. The history of how an idea came to be is just as important as the idea itself. Without knowing the surrounding information it is impossible to understand the action. But yet and this is hard to believe, I have spoken to MIT math types who do not know who Isaac Newton is. I think, how can you use Newton's iteration and know nothing about the inventor? So, I will start with the story.

My Position:

Exposure to other opinions than were held by my schools, newspapers, the medical profession... came when I was about your age. Up to that time, I just thought everything told to me was the truth. My grandfather (grandpappyd) was the first. He exposed much of what was going on around us to me in a way I found hard to believe. Then came pappym, he did not like scientists or doctors...the people I worshipped. I did not like him very much but his ideas somehow took root to a small degree.

I was in my twenties now full of chemistry and biology. I wanted to be a biochemist so on a lark I read Linus Pauling's book and was astounded. Could he be right, after all he was a 2 time Nobel Prize winner? Why was such a man being ostracized and eventually kicked out of the country he was born in? Then a brilliant fellow introduced me to Erich Von Daniken. How could a guy as smart as him, smarter than me, believe these things I wondered? Nothing happened in my mind to change me for many decades as I stagnated.

RPM wrote:

Paco Perez: I can't let them tear down everything I've believed in for 52 years.

Paco's gf: What the hell could a man believe in for 52 years!?

The question is: were these people right to introduce me to things of such an extraordinary and radical nature? Nope, they were not. So, I will not go too deeply into the reasons I have but I do have one good one...an experiment.

There was a story told to me in Nevada. A famous math/computer scientist was giving an impromptu lecture. Unknown to him, the audience consisted mostly of hackers ( of the bad type ). He went on and on of why doing this and that was impossible because math said this and math said that. Each point he made provoked a bit of a chuckle out of the audience, a bit of a sneer too. He at first ignored it but it grew worse. Finally, he said somewhat annoyed to his hostile audience, "what is the problem, you think I'm wrong?". One of them in the audience jumped right up and said, "I don't know about you being wrong but I do know we have been doing everything you say is impossible!"

Theory does not supersede experiment. If the theory does not coincide with the experimental data, it is wrong and should be dumped. I among lots others have been drinking DW for many years.

Of course, I am required by law to cover my rear and say I am not recommending the practice to anyone else as only a doctor here is allowed to do that.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2017-03-28 20:40:10

iamaditya

Hi, bobbym
Why is the topic appearing with hyphens and stars and dots. Please correct this topic if administrators can do that.

Method to prove that D--i*st...ill**ed Water is not bad for health..

bobbym wrote:

Hi;
The title is incorrect. I would never say I could prove that. I said if this demineralization effect is true there is a rather easy way to negate its effects in my view.
Believe it or not this is a very broad topic. For every doctor or paid hired gun scientist they can produce I can find forums like this one with real people saying that what they are saying is pure kaboobly doo. Can we be certain who is right? No we can not. Certainty does not exist in the real world. Only in religion do we have certainty, the knowledge that we are right. Whether this is a delusion or not is another subject.
I do not separate history from math or anything else. The history of how an idea came to be is just as important as the idea itself. Without knowing the surrounding information it is impossible to understand the action. But yet and this is hard to believe, I have spoken to MIT math types who do not know who Isaac Newton is. I think, how can you use Newton's iteration and know nothing about the inventor? So, I will start with the story.
My Position:
Exposure to other opinions than were held by my schools, newspapers, the medical profession... came when I was about your age. Up to that time, I just thought everything told to me was the truth. My grandfather (grandpappyd) was the first. He exposed much of what was going on around us to me in a way I found hard to believe. Then came pappym, he did not like scientists or doctors...the people I worshipped. I did not like him very much but his ideas somehow took root to a small degree.
I was in my twenties now full of chemistry and biology. I wanted to be a biochemist so on a lark I read Linus Pauling's book and was astounded. Could he be right, after all he was a 2 time Nobel Prize winner? Why was such a man being ostracized and eventually kicked out of the country he was born in? Then a brilliant fellow introduced me to Erich Von Daniken. How could a guy as smart as him, smarter than me, believe these things I wondered? Nothing happened in my mind to change me for many decades as I stagnated.
RPM wrote:
Paco Perez: I can't let them tear down everything I've believed in for 52 years.
Paco's gf: What the hell could a man believe in for 52 years!?
The question is: were these people right to introduce me to things of such an extraordinary and radical nature? Nope, they were not. So, I will not go too deeply into the reasons I have but I do have one good one...an experiment.
There was a story told to me in Nevada. A famous math/computer scientist was giving an impromptu lecture. Unknown to him, the audience consisted mostly of hackers ( of the bad type ). He went on and on of why doing this and that was impossible because math said this and math said that. Each point he made provoked a bit of a chuckle out of the audience, a bit of a sneer too. He at first ignored it but it grew worse. Finally, he said somewhat annoyed to his hostile audience, "what is the problem, you think I'm wrong?". One of them in the audience jumped right up and said, "I don't know about you being wrong but I do know we have been doing everything you say is impossible!"
Theory does not supersede experiment. If the theory does not coincide with the experimental data, it is wrong and should be dumped. I among lots others have been drinking DW for many years.
Of course, I am required by law to cover my rear and say I am not recommending the practice to anyone else as only a doctor here is allowed to do that.

Hmmm, you are right.

All of us do not have equal talents but everybody has equal oppurtunities to build their talents.-APJ Abdul Kalam

#4 2017-03-28 20:43:49

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

I did that. It is a well known trick to prevent a google search from finding this topic.

I am afraid I am not right just hopeful that I am right or choosing the lesser of two evils.

#5 2017-03-28 20:47:51

iamaditya

Ok.

I am afraid I am not right just hopeful that I am right or choosing the lesser of two evils.

Which 2 evils are you talking about?

#6 2017-03-28 20:49:31

bobbym
bumpkin

One has to make a choice whether to drink municipal water or something else.

#7 2017-03-28 20:53:14

iamaditya

Hey bobbym, do you make distilled water at home or buy it from outside.

#8 2017-03-28 20:57:12

bobbym
bumpkin

I can make it at home (electricity) and in the forest(campfire). Used to make it in chemistry class too. It is not that difficult. I also buy it at stores.

#9 2017-03-28 21:00:21

iamaditya

How do you make it in the forest ? Do you take the appartus with you there?

#10 2017-03-28 21:04:47

bobbym
bumpkin

I constructed my own distiller from a stainless steel teapot, some rubber stoppers and a copper coil. You fill it up, put it on the fire, cool the coils and distilled water comes out of the other end.

#11 2017-03-28 21:07:31

iamaditya

Hmm good idea. I must present it in my school exhibition naming "Anywhere distilled water appartus".

#12 2017-03-28 21:08:47

bobbym
bumpkin

It would not do well for an exhibition. It is very primitive and also very well known.

#13 2017-03-28 21:10:19

iamaditya

Oh then I didnt knew this simple method. Ok, anyways,I will try this at home.

#14 2017-03-28 21:16:32

bobbym
bumpkin

I do not recommend that. Steam is very hot and can scald you. Hot water is also dangerous. We all know how dangerous fire and electricity are. Not everyone is good at building things and even if you are, accidents can and do happen.

#15 2017-03-28 21:18:00

iamaditya

Then, doesn't accidents happen with you too, as you use it regularly?

#16 2017-03-28 21:19:29

bobbym
bumpkin

No accidents so far but I do not recommend for others what I would for myself.

#17 2017-03-28 21:23:18

iamaditya

Ok don't worry I will try it only once. I am assuring that I will be extremely careful and no accidents will  happen. Don' think me 2 be a small kid, I have done many experiments in phy and chem with sulphuric and nitric acids, with heat and electricity.

#18 2017-03-28 21:28:30

bobbym
bumpkin

I did too. I do not think of you as a kid. In my day a person your age was ready to be a man. To marry, to fight in wars and to take care of a whole farm by himself. It is only the modern world that calls young people children, that babies them and prevents them from growing up. I am only asking you to be careful. I am allowed to risk my life because it is mine. I never recommend anyone else do what I do, I do not have that right.

#19 2017-03-28 21:29:35

iamaditya

Do you know my age, bobbym?

#20 2017-03-28 21:32:35

bobbym
bumpkin

You told me you were 13...

#21 2017-03-28 21:35:10

iamaditya

Yes, but now I am 14. My birthday is on 9th february.

#22 2017-03-28 21:37:28

bobbym
bumpkin

That is more than a month ago and you are an aquarius, so was pappym.

#23 2017-03-28 21:41:28

iamaditya

and i guess your birthday is on 3rd june.

#24 2017-03-28 21:43:37

bobbym
bumpkin

How do you guess that?

#25 2017-03-28 21:45:26

iamaditya

Hm..hm.. its a secret!

Board footer