Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-24 08:34:53

Hannibal lecter

probability question..

Hi

what is the probability of finding 2 people have the same clothes out of 50 poeple???

Wisdom is a tree which grows in the heart and fruits on the tongue

#2 2018-02-24 21:06:01

Bob
Administrator

Re: probability question..

hi Hannibal lecter

what is the probability of finding 2 people have the same clothes out of 50 poeple???

With so little information this is not a question that a mathematician can answer.

Suppose the 50 are soldiers on parade.  They should all have the same clothes so the probability in this case is very nearly 1 (we have to allow the small possibility that a soldier may not have the correct uniform)

If the 50 are people who hate being seen wearing the same as any of the others, then the probability will be close to zero.

To make a sensible maths question more information is required.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2018-02-25 05:48:41

Hannibal lecter

the real question was :
what is the probability of finding 2 people have the same shape (They are similar in appearance)  out of 50 poeple???

but I couldn't explain that in English so I change the question sorry

Wisdom is a tree which grows in the heart and fruits on the tongue

#4 2018-02-25 21:45:34

Bob
Administrator

But my last post still applies.  There's not enough information to come up with a mathematical answer.  eg.  How many different 'shapes' are there and how likely is each shape?

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

Board footer