Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-26 20:33:17

mathland

An Autograph Means Nothing To Me

I need someone to explain the value of an autograph. I never understood why people want a famous person's signature on a piece of paper. What is that paper going to do for anyone? I definitely don't seek or desire an autograph from anyone famous or not. I just think people are silly. You will never see me standing on line for hours to ask a famous, rich person who does not care about me in any way for his or her signature on a piece of paper. Sorry but it's not happening.

Last edited by mathland (2021-05-04 20:43:48)

#2 2021-04-26 22:19:34

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Re: An Autograph Means Nothing To Me

In one of the dictionaries :

noun
1. a person's own signature.
2. something written in a person's own hand, as a manuscript or letter.

adjective
3. written by a person's own hand.
4. containing autographs:

verb (used with object)
5. to write one's name on or in; sign:
6. to write with one's own hand.

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#3 2021-05-04 18:47:37

mathland

ganesh wrote:

In one of the dictionaries :

noun
1. a person's own signature.
2. something written in a person's own hand, as a manuscript or letter.

adjective
3. written by a person's own hand.
4. containing autographs:

verb (used with object)
5. to write one's name on or in; sign:
6. to write with one's own hand.

You did not answer my question.

#4 2021-05-04 23:39:20

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

I have given one of the dictionary meanings. What more do you expect? I cannot anticipate what you have in your mind.

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#5 2021-05-05 14:52:16

mathland

ganesh wrote:

I have given one of the dictionary meanings. What more do you expect? I cannot anticipate what you have in your mind.

The entire thread is simply to point out the ridiculousness of asking for an autograph.

#6 2021-05-05 15:08:46

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

mathland wrote:
ganesh wrote:

The entire thread is simply to point out the ridiculousness of asking for an autograph.

An autograph is a person's own handwriting or signature. The word autograph comes from Ancient Greek, and can mean more specifically:

a) a manuscript written by the author of its content. In this meaning the term autograph can often be used interchangeably with holograph.
b) a celebrity's handwritten signature. Autograph collecting is the activity of collecting such autographs.

This is the definition, for many people in the world.

#7 2021-05-05 19:22:13

mathland

ganesh wrote:
mathland wrote:
ganesh wrote:

An autograph is a person's own handwriting or signature. The word autograph comes from Ancient Greek, and can mean more specifically:

a) a manuscript written by the author of its content. In this meaning the term autograph can often be used interchangeably with holograph.
b) a celebrity's handwritten signature. Autograph collecting is the activity of collecting such autographs.

Let me put it this way:

I WILL REQUEST FOR AN AUTOGRAPH AFTER THE RAPTURE. TRY TO MAKE SENSE OF THAT, IF YOU CAN.

#8 2021-05-06 04:54:04

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

mathland wrote:
ganesh wrote:
mathland wrote:

Let me put it this way:

I WILL REQUEST FOR AN AUTOGRAPH AFTER THE RAPTURE. TRY TO MAKE SENSE OF THAT, IF YOU CAN.

I am unable to do so. Be clear.

#9 2021-05-06 10:43:14

mathland

ganesh wrote:
mathland wrote:
ganesh wrote:

Let me put it this way:

Let me put it this way:

I will ask someone for an autograph when elephants climb trees.

#10 2021-05-06 16:27:06

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

mathland wrote:
ganesh wrote:
mathland wrote:

Let me put it this way:

Let me put it this way:

That is a futile exercise. Elephants climbing trees is highly improbable. The probability is close to zero.

#11 2021-05-06 18:38:50

mathland

ganesh wrote:
mathland wrote:
ganesh wrote:

Let me put it this way:

That is a futile exercise. Elephants climbing trees is highly improbable. The probability is close to zero.

Sorry but you are confused. This is not a math question. I am basically saying that asking someone for an autograph is really, really stupid because there is no value; nothing is gained. Understand?

#12 2021-05-06 20:41:30

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

mathland wrote:
ganesh wrote:
mathland wrote:

Let me put it this way:

Sorry but you are confused. This is not a math question. I am basically saying that asking someone for an autograph is really, really stupid because there is no value; nothing is gained. Understand?

No, I am clear. You gave the analogy of elephants climbing trees.

However, talking of autographs, I have discussed at length of definition of autographs. Any further explanation is not required.

#13 2021-05-06 23:48:56

mathland

ganesh wrote:
mathland wrote:
ganesh wrote:

No, I am clear. You gave the analogy of elephants climbing trees.

However, talking of autographs, I have discussed at length of definition of autographs. Any further explanation is not required.

Mr. Ganesh,

By saying that I will request an autograph when elephants climb trees means I am NEVER going to ask for an autograph. We both know that elephants cannot climb trees. Thus, the conclusion here is that I will not request an autograph because it's really, really, really, stupid to do so.

#14 2021-05-11 06:14:18

Not Dav

I feel like the people who have an autograph have a piece of the person they admire

I wish thee not, yet it is always -Anonymous

#15 2021-05-11 10:50:41

mathland

Not Dav wrote:

I feel like the people who have an autograph have a piece of the person they admire

Ok. I see nothing with this but I myself choose not to request an autograph unless  the piece of paper will put money in my bank account.

#16 2021-05-11 13:35:20

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

I had been an autograph-hunter in my late teens, I have taken autographs of eminent sports persons.

A prized possession!

#17 2021-05-11 14:23:06

mathland

ganesh wrote:

I had been an autograph-hunter in my late teens, I have taken autographs of eminent sports persons.

A prized possession!

To each his own.

#18 2021-05-11 14:40:09

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

mathland wrote:
ganesh wrote:

A prized possession!

To each his own.

True! A little later in my life, I collected pictures of actors!

I took autographs of film artistes!

And after around 25, priorities shifted.

#19 2021-05-11 17:32:31

mathland

ganesh wrote:
mathland wrote:
ganesh wrote:

A prized possession!

To each his own.

It was a hobby to you.

#20 2021-05-11 17:36:49

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

mathland wrote:
ganesh wrote:
mathland wrote:

To each his own.

It was a hobby to you.

Yes, it was a hobby at that point of time.

But, as we grow, priorities shift.

Fortunately, learning has been a top priority.

#21 2021-05-11 17:52:09

mathland

ganesh wrote:
mathland wrote:
ganesh wrote:

It was a hobby to you.

Math is a hobby for me at this stage in my life. I don't think I'll ever stop learning new mathematical ideas.

#22 2021-05-11 17:56:00

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

mathland wrote:
ganesh wrote:
mathland wrote:

It was a hobby to you.

Math is a hobby for me at this stage in my life. I don't think I'll ever stop learning new mathematical ideas.

Mathematics is a hobby as well as bread and butter.

Without it, I would have never been a complete person.

#23 2021-05-11 19:33:05

mathland

ganesh wrote:
mathland wrote:
ganesh wrote:

So, are you a math teacher or simply a math enthusiast?

#24 2021-05-11 19:41:59

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

mathland wrote:
ganesh wrote:
mathland wrote:

I did take tuitions for middle school students (home tuition) as an amateur.

When I said Mathematics has provided me bread and butter, I meant I got a good job only because of my math and science background.

#25 2021-05-11 22:24:41

mathland

ganesh wrote:
mathland wrote:
ganesh wrote:

I did take tuitions for middle school students (home tuition) as an amateur.

When I said Mathematics has provided me bread and butter, I meant I got a good job only because of my math and science background.

Last edited by mathland (2021-05-11 23:40:13)

Board footer