Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-05-10 17:37:13

mathland

Living A Double Life

Are you living a double life? It's hard for me to accept the fact that I am living a lie. I claim to be a Christian but my secret sin (secret because my friends and family have no clue) is tearing me apart inside. Can you relate?

#2 2021-05-10 18:19:22

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Re: Living A Double Life

There have been times I have been a bit selfish (very few occasions, and more often, unknowingly), but it is past now. I tried to be a good man, a good member of the society.

I feel a person ought to become better, as there is no point in brooding at a later date.

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#3 2021-05-10 22:30:02

mathland

ganesh wrote:

There have been times I have been a bit selfish (very few occasions, and more often, unknowingly), but it is past now. I tried to be a good man, a good member of the society.

I feel a person ought to become better, as there is no point in brooding at a later date.

Selfishness is not the same as living a double life. Have you ever told a group of people that you are doing A when in fact you are doing B? In other words, did you ever pretend be someone you are not?

#4 2021-05-11 01:34:14

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

mathland wrote:
ganesh wrote:

Selfishness is not the same as living a double life. Have you ever told a group of people that you are doing A when in fact you are doing B? In other words, did you ever pretend be someone you are not?

Selfishness : the quality or state of being selfish : a concern for one's own welfare or advantage at the expense of or in disregard of others : excessive interest in oneself.

Lead a Double life : to not tell the whole truth about one's life.

Okay, but I just said 'There have been times I have been a bit selfish (very few occasions, and more often, unknowingly), but it is past now. I tried to be a good man, a good member of the society.

I feel a person ought to become better, as there is no point in brooding at a later date.'

Every sensible person knows that all are selfish, to varied degrees. It may by 0.01%, or it may be 99.99%.

It is just like 'no one is perfect'. Perfection may be 99.99% or 0.01%. Can you think of perfection at all times? We are all humans.

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#5 2021-05-11 10:45:58

mathland

ganesh wrote:
mathland wrote:
ganesh wrote:

Selfishness : the quality or state of being selfish : a concern for one's own welfare or advantage at the expense of or in disregard of others : excessive interest in oneself.

Okay, but I just said 'There have been times I have been a bit selfish (very few occasions, and more often, unknowingly), but it is past now. I tried to be a good man, a good member of the society.

I feel a person ought to become better, as there is no point in brooding at a later date.'

Every sensible person knows that all are selfish, to varied degrees. It may by 0.01%, or it may be 99.99%.

It is just like 'no one is perfect'. Perfection may be 99.99% or 0.01%. Can you think of perfection at all times? We are all humans.

Only God is perfect and He does not boast about His perfect being.

Example of a double life is, for example, telling your friends and family that you are a Christian but secretly living a carnal lifestyle.

#6 2021-05-11 13:28:54

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

mathland wrote:
ganesh wrote:
mathland wrote:

Example of a double life is, for example, telling your friends and family that you are a Christian but secretly living a carnal lifestyle.

Acceptance is paramount. We are all humans.

#7 2021-05-11 14:21:26

mathland

ganesh wrote:
mathland wrote:
ganesh wrote:

We are all human. I don't have all the answers.

#8 2021-05-11 14:46:16

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

mathland wrote:
ganesh wrote:
mathland wrote:

Understandable!

#9 2021-05-11 17:37:33

mathland

ganesh wrote:
mathland wrote:
ganesh wrote:

Understandable!

A double life is too complicated to deal with. Be the person you were meant to be.

#10 2021-05-11 17:45:14

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

mathland wrote:
ganesh wrote:
mathland wrote:

Understandable!

A double life is too complicated to deal with. Be the person you were meant to be.

True. Complicated and difficult to judge.

#11 2021-05-11 19:24:31

mathland

ganesh wrote:
mathland wrote:
ganesh wrote:

Understandable!

I have been a faker for too long. I preach A bit do B instead. It's getting dull and old.

#12 2021-05-11 19:28:16

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

mathland wrote:
ganesh wrote:
mathland wrote:

I have been a faker for too long. I preach A bit do B instead. It's getting dull and old.

It is never too old to change habits. Provided, it is change for the better.

#13 2021-05-11 19:31:50

mathland

ganesh wrote:
mathland wrote:
ganesh wrote:

It is never too old to change habits. Provided, it is change for the better.

I'll keep you posted.

Board footer