Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-02-25 00:24:47

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Amphibolia

Traditionally the Amphibolian caste system was strict, the entire population being classified as either Fellahs or Phibbas.
By hallowed tradition, Fellahs invariably spoke the truth, where Phibbas invariably lied (even as to their own caste). Because native Amphibloains could recognise caste instinctively, no confusion arose locally, but things could prove difficult for a visitor, as I discovered on my first visit to the country some twenty-odd years ago.
Are you mostly Fellahs or Phibbas?' I asked the five Amphibolians with whom I was drinking in the bar of my hotel.
'More of us are Fellahs than Phibbas,' replied the first.
The second shook his head. "More of us are Phibbas than Fellahs,' he said.
I looked perplexed.
'Only two of us are Fellahs,' explained the third.
'Only three of us are Phibbas,' added the fourth.
'And what are you?" I enquired of the fifth man.
'I am a Fellah,' he replied.
Which of the five men were really Fellahs, and which were Phibbas?

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#2 2006-02-25 09:24:54

mathsyperson

Re: Amphibolia

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#3 2006-02-25 17:21:21

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

good-shirt.jpeg

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#4 2006-02-25 23:44:26

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

It was not until last year that again In visited Amphibloia. The two tradional classes of fellas and Phibbas still exist, but since my previous visit a revolution had taken place, resulting in the emergence of a third class of citizen. These middle-class egaliterians (known as Jokers) eschew the ancient conventions of caste, and religiously alternate truth with falsehood. If one statement made by a Joker happens to be the truth, his next wil be a lie, and vice versa. The trouble is, that when one encounters a Joker, it is difficult to know which truth/falsehood leg he happens to be on at the time he first opens his mouth.

I was in Amphibolia for the purpose of writing an article on the social changes that have taken place since the revolution, and was met at the airport by three men sent to greet me on behalf of the Ministy of Disinformation. I tried the same opening gambit as on my former visit.

'How many of you are Jokers?' I asked.
'Just one of us,' volunteered Xzysmith.
'At least one of us,' added Yxzsmith unhelpfully.
'More than one of us,' said Zxysmmith.
'Are you yourself a Joker?' I asked Xzysmith.
'No,' he replied.
'He is,' said Yxzsmith.
'He isn't,' declared Zxysmith.
Which, not surpsingly, left me wondering which caste each of the men really belonged to. Can you throw any light on the matter?

#5 2006-02-26 06:14:15

mathsyperson

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#6 2006-02-26 17:18:07

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

correct.gif

Board footer