Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-03-03 17:50:41

JavierFrancis
Novice

Your favorite branch of mathematics

Hey everyone! I'm kind of a newbie to the whole math scene, and I was just wondering: what's your favorite branch of mathematics, and what is it about that particular branch that captivates you? I'm trying to dive deeper into math and figure out what really excites people about it. Any insights or recommendations on where to start would be awesome! Thanks a bunch!

#2 2024-03-03 18:11:29

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Re: Your favorite branch of mathematics

Hi JavierFrancis,

Welcome to the forum!

My favorite branch of Mathematics is Mensuration.

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#3 2024-03-03 18:19:00

nycguitarguy

JavierFrancis wrote:

Hey everyone! I'm kind of a newbie to the whole math scene, and I was just wondering: what's your favorite branch of mathematics, and what is it about that particular branch that captivates you? I'm trying to dive deeper into math and figure out what really excites people about it. Any insights or recommendations on where to start would be awesome! Thanks a bunch!

1. This is the wrong forum for this question. This forum is for math questions specifically.

2. My favorite branch of mathematics is geometry.

3. I like geometric shapes, and applications.

4. For me, the challenge of solving for x is what makes math interestingly fun.

5. Math is connected to music notation. As a guitarist and arranger of scores, knowing basic math and fractions comes in handy.

#4 2024-03-03 21:25:21

Bob
Administrator

Hi JavierFrancis,

Welcome to the forum. I think your question is perfectly correct here. We don't just help with problem questions.

What I like is when two areas of maths lead to the same result independently.  For example, basic rules for when a triangle can be drawn and when the sides don't meet is mirrored in the sine and cosine rules.

If you head over to our 'sister' site, mathsisfun.com you'll find loads of excellent (not mine) pages that will show you  many maths topics. They're cross linked so you can begin a journey and let the pages take you to interesting places.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#5 2024-03-04 01:57:14

nycguitarguy

Bob wrote:

Hi JavierFrancis,

Welcome to the forum. I think your question is perfectly correct here. We don't just help with problem questions.

What I like is when two areas of maths lead to the same result independently.  For example, basic rules for when a triangle can be drawn and when the sides don't meet is mirrored in the sine and cosine rules.

If you head over to our 'sister' site, mathsisfun.com you'll find loads of excellent (not mine) pages that will show you  many maths topics. They're cross linked so you can begin a journey and let the pages take you to interesting places.

Bob

I thought this forum was specifically for math problems. Your website is divided into several forums. I thought we solve math problems here.

#6 2024-03-05 13:03:27

amnkb

Its his 1st post
"novice" gonna make mistakes
I think its ok to be nice
kiss
you say?

#7 2024-03-05 18:18:26

nycguitarguy

amnkb wrote:

Its his 1st post
"novice" gonna make mistakes
I think its ok to be nice
kiss
you say?

All that I am is nice and get pooped on for walking the straight and narrow road.

Board footer