Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-03 09:19:58

RealEstateBroker

Ethical Businessman

A businessman goes to his minister and says:

"I need guidance on a matter of ethics. My company received a check today for $10,000, which we don't have coming to us. It was sent by mistake. The company which sent it is a big corporation. If we cash the check, no one there will realize it, and we can easily get away with it.

I want to do the right thing, but I am in a cash crunch right now, and desperately need any funds I can lay my hands on. I need you to tell me what the ethical thing to do is in this situation: Should I tell my partner and split it with him; or should I not mention anything, and just keep the whole thing for myself? dizzyroflol

Love is what matters most!

#2 2006-06-03 10:26:57

justlookingforthemoment

Re: Ethical Businessman

Um... is this a joke?

[Hehe, whoops, I misread the whole thing and thought you were talking about something different unrelated to the joke at the end. Excuse me while I go and dunk my head in a bucket of water.]

Last edited by justlookingforthemoment (2006-06-03 14:26:48)

#3 2006-06-03 11:32:59

Ricky

Hah!  Good one.

The normal question would be, "Should I keep the check or should I give it back to the company?"

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#4 2006-06-03 12:01:48

MathsIsFun
Administrator

On a true note: a guy joined a large (20,000 employeee) company I once worked for, but quit after a few weeks. He came round to my place and asked me to return the company coat he had been issued with.

I tried to return it to stores, but they said it would be too complicated to receive goods like that - they didn't want to do the paperwork for just one coat. Weird world.

And another story about that same stores: another co-worker broke one of the laces on his boots, so went to stores to get a replacement. They said "the minimum issue is 100 pairs of shoe laces, or we could give you a brand new pair of boots". He opted for the shoe laces. You should have seen our office - no one used string for a year, we used shoe laces! Shoe laces holding up plants, shoe laces on boxes, shoe laces everywhere!

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#5 2006-06-04 03:48:05

mikau

did you floss your teeth with them? yikes

A logarithm is just a misspelled algorithm.

#6 2006-06-04 10:00:06

MathsIsFun
Administrator

mikau wrote:

did you floss your teeth with them? yikes

Only old Gap-Tooth ...

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

Board footer