Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-21 01:21:35

jay78

Magical formula... need help with system

Hi guys this is a bit off topic to what a usual thread is like on mathsisfun.com, i am a small time novice trader of the Stock markets, e.g the Dow Jones or curreny trading US.dollar against Great Britan Pound.

In my time as a trader i have been offered dozens of get rich quick systems as you can probably imagine promising the moon on a stick for just £99.99. These system are all based on calculations, graphs special indicatiors etc. but all these are based on mathmatics. Obviously these systems dont work or they wouldnt be for sale anyway.

There must be quite a few very good mathmaticians on here and was just wondering if anybody has looked into anything like this or has any tips that might help.

If anybody is really intrested i can show you quite easily the basics within a few minutes and you can pick it up in maybe an hour.

Sorry for going on, but a joint team effort here could well chang our lives for the good.:)

Last edited by jay78 (2006-06-21 01:22:39)

#2 2006-06-21 09:47:28

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Re: Magical formula... need help with system

Essentially I believe you *can* model the stock market. Groups tend to be more predictable than individuals.

But there are lots of complex factors, not the least of which is that many people use computers in their decision-making!

However, it is almost ideal ground for applied mathematics - there is lots of data available and a constant stream of new data to debunk any grand theories smile

And if you have good trading rules, then you only need to be right somewhat more often than you are wrong.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

Board footer