Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2005-05-11 22:25:06

Amack and Jonny

2 u

hi we h8 maths and wuz wunderin wever or not u kud make it more interesting lets find out our taecher is mr king and he rweccommended it bubixxxxxxxx

#2 2012-10-20 17:56:23

Calligar

Re: 2 u

Well, I doubt your see this considering how old this is, but feel it should be responded to.

You likely hate math because you don't understand it that well.  Maybe not seeing any good uses for it, or maybe just thinking it's just another useless thing you have to learn, but maybe consider this...  Math itself is pretty much another language, just a more scientifically one, and one derived of from logic.  Everything in math is a deductive process to allow us to figure things out, logically, and, at least be more assured that we are correct.  Now, just in case, I'll follow up with an example:

Imagine you are sitting next to an apple tree.  You sit there, and decide to pick an apple.  So you have one apple.  Now what are you going to do if you want another apple?  You are going to pick another one.  This is a very simple example of 1 + 1 = 2.  You have 1 apple, and you pick another apple, so how many apples do you have?  2.  This is similar to things you do in math (but it gets far more advanced then that).

Without math, we would have barely been able to advance.  Many people (in my opinion) don't understand math (or at least not very well...).  If you go on simply doing math for the pure reason that you just have to know it, then I might be inclined to agree, not only is math not that fun, but also pointless as well.  I do not think I am explaining this the best, but my point is math is so much more than just something you need to know, and typically I find the more one better understands math, the more they tend to like it.  You can visualize them as all pointless numbers, or even a stress that makes you have to think, but all in all, it really isn't that bad once you begin to really understand what you are doing.

I for one love math, and only wish to get better and better.  There are many things I don't understand yet, but I intend to continue learning, and why?  Because there are so many things that I do not know, and it helps me to understand better.  If you were serious about wanting to like math more, and to everyone else who agrees with the post above, my recommendation is to start understanding it better.  Don't just simply think of them as only numbers you are required to remember, but actually put thought into it, so that you are able to figure out what you are doing.  Perhaps, you might find out that, eventually, it helps you in real life (more than you would normally think) too.

There are always other variables.  -[unknown]
But Nature flies from the infinite, for the infinite is unending or imperfect, and Nature ever seeks an end.  -Aristotle
Everything makes sense, one only needs to figure out how.  -[unknown]

Board footer