Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-22 11:36:57

Monique

making t the subject

Hi guys!!!

how do I rearrange the following equations to make t the subject???????

a)  y = t - 4

b)  x = 2t - 4 + 8

c)  y  =  ( -3t + 2/3) to the power of 2

#2 2007-02-22 11:49:15

Sekky

Re: making t the subject

Monique wrote:

Hi guys!!!

how do I rearrange the following equations to make t the subject???????

a)  y = t - 4

b)  x = 2t - 4 + 8

c)  y  =  ( -3t + 2/3) to the power of 2

Basically that you're looking to do, is have one side of the equation such that t is on it's own, then you have a surefire way of knowing what t equals

a) simply add 4 to both sides:

b) you can compose the 8 and -4, there's no need to have them separate, so simply subtract 4 from both sides and then divide boths sides by 2

c) I'll rewrite this in latex

take the square root of both sides

subtract two thirds from both sides, and then divide by negative three

it all just consists of elementary arithmetic, perform operations in the order necessary to make t singular. I'm probably gonna get flamed for doing somebody's homework for them, so as a contingency plan, you're going to solve this one:

#3 2007-02-22 13:18:55

mathsyperson

Don't worry about people flaming you, Sekky. The majority of threads on this board end up with people doing other people's work for them. Whenever we try to explain how to do work without actually doing it, most of the time the topic creator just posts back saying that they still don't understand, and then we end up doing it for them anyway.

This type of question is a perfect example. It's perfectly easy to understand how it's done if you can see it worked through, but it would be very hard to get someone to understand how to do it without actually showing them.

As long as Monique doesn't start posting her homework regularly and getting us to do it all, there's nothing wrong with going through the questions as you have done.

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#4 2007-02-22 15:53:07

Monique

Thank you so much. I'm a not student but someone desperately trying to understand the reasoning and answers in order to help my child with their homework. faint

Board footer