Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-26 16:27:40

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Thank You, Uncle Sam!

For six years between 1986 and 1992, I was a regular visitor at the US Consulate Library at Chennai-600 006.
There are innumerable things I learnt here.
Every Satudrday I would be there, and browsing the volumes of book, Encyclopedia available; the temperature was a cool 15 degrees Celsius lesser than outside, Chennai is very hot and humid!
These years saw me discover some of the great properties of numbers like 1152921504606846976, 1.444667861 etc.
Looking back, they were some of the most interesting years of my life, Stefanie Maria Graf had won the Golden slam in 1988, Ben Johnson was stripped of his Olympic Gold in Seoul, 1988 for taking Stanazalo, an anabloic steroid, Allan Border's Aussies won the World Cup at Eden Gardens and Stepehn Roger Waugh, the captain par excellence, had emerged on the world stage!
The greatest year of my life was yet to come!
Y2K!
The last year of the second millenium AD was certainly one of the greatest in my life, I had learnt to browse the internet! Slowly, yet stedily, the net was becoming an obsession smile

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

Board footer