Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-14 03:02:43

RubyDog

Urgent Maths Problem - Help Appreciated

Hello, I'm currently in the last year of elementary school. We will be sitting a test called the "Sigma-T" in two days time. Now I'm determined to do well, but there are a few things I can't seem to get my head around, so if you could help me out I would be very, very grateful.

Now, this may be a little blatant, or alot to ask, but could someone explain the whole thing of interest and Value Added Tax to me? I know there are different forms of ways that these questions. But if you could explain a few to me? I won't ask you to explain all of it, as that may be too time consuming for you, or too much too ask.

One more thing I'd love cleared up is too find perimeter, area or circumference.

Again, I know this is alot to ask, but I really need help, as my teacher expects alot from me, and I feel I'm not half of what she thinks I am.

Sincerest Thanks.

wave

#2 2007-05-14 06:24:46

mathsyperson

Re: Urgent Maths Problem - Help Appreciated

Interest is a percentage that gets added on to an amount of money, usually when either saving with or borrowing from a bank.

For example, if your bank has a savings rate of 5%, then putting £100 in there will make them add £5 to it at the end of the year. VAT is sort of similar to interest, in that it's also a percentage that gets added onto the original amount. The difference is that it applies when buying items, rather than in banks.

Perimeter, area and circumference all describe 2D shapes.
The area of a shape is the amount of space inside it. For example, if you drew a shape on squared paper, then you could count the number of squares inside the shape and then it would have an area of ... squares.

The perimeter of a shape is the length of the line used in drawing it. Circumference is exactly the same, but it only applies to circles. No other shape has a circumference.

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

Board footer