Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-01 06:51:29

Laterally Speaking
Real Member

Genius stuck in France

My classes for this year were English, Spanish, French, Math, History, Geography, Civics, Physics, Chemistry, Technology, Art, Latin, Biology, Geology, and Sports. The days here start at 8:30AM and end at 5:00PM. There is , luckily, a lunch break from 12:30 to 2:00. Each class lasts about 1 hour, so it's 7 hours of class a day.

I'm pretty sure that if I listed everything I like, it would take several hours to write them out, so I'll keep it relatively short. I like Programming in VB 5, 3D modeling, sliding down the nearby 60-degree slope with friends, solving logic puzzles, coming up with codes (often combined with the programming), writing various forms of music, quantum physics, chemistry, and, of course, math...

"Knowledge is directly proportional to the amount of equipment ruined."
"This woman painted a picture of me; she was clearly a psychopath"

#2 2007-06-01 07:31:25

Devantè
Real Member

Re: Genius stuck in France

Interesting ... so you're a musician? I'd like to see/hear some of your compositions and your work! smile

What grade/year are you in?

Interesting ... Latin. Nice lunch break by the way. smile

Oh, and I almost forgot. Welcome to Maths Is Fun, Laterally Speaking. smile

As you may have noticed, I am famous for my postcount ... that's right, I have the most posts on this forum! big_smile

#3 2007-06-01 08:24:49

Laterally Speaking
Real Member

Fine, I admit that the word "Genius" is pretty strong, but do you know any other 13-year-olds who understand the Uncertainty Principle, RSA, and organic chemistry?

Last edited by Laterally Speaking (2007-06-01 09:53:46)

#4 2007-06-01 08:37:18

Laterally Speaking
Real Member

Yes, I noticed.

I'm not sure how I could share my compositions, so I'm welcome to suggestions for that.

Over here, they call the grade "quatrieme" (fourth), but it's equivalent to eighth grade in the US. The grades are numbered oddly: CP: first; CE1: second; CE2: third; CM1: fourth; CM2: fifth; sixieme: sixth; cinquieme: seventh; quatrieme: eighth; troisieme: ninth; seconde: tenth; premiere: eleventh; terminale: twelfth. The classes are grouped in the following way: [CP, CE1, CE2], [CM1, CM2], [sixieme, cinquieme, quatrieme, troisieme], [seconde, premiere, terminale]. If you think this is crazy, try putting the words of the above group (sixieme, cinquieme, quatrieme, troisieme) into a French-to-English translator!

#5 2007-06-01 08:46:19

Laterally Speaking
Real Member

I have probably got the weirdest family around: at the family reunion last summer, the head count on my mother's side was estimated at around 100, many people not having been able to come. Most of the people in that family are named John, and have the "family sense of humor", as well as a tendency to be pyromaniacs (the event started with our 3rd of July fireworks display, launched from copper tubes and lit by the youngest, and ended with a gigantic kerosene-fueled fire that no one could get within 10 feet of). My dad's side is somewhat saner, but both families seem to have started in the same area, Northern Europe, then Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Well, enough about me, somebody tell me about themselves here. Please, I'm tired of talking to myself.

#6 2007-06-01 09:38:14

Devantè
Real Member

You're 13 and you study those subjects?

Lucky you ...

But doesn't that seem odd, considering that in the UK most people don't learn a few of those subjects until A-Level?

#7 2007-06-01 09:59:50

Laterally Speaking
Real Member

I study stuff like quantum physics, organic chemistry, and cryptography in my spare time (which may not seem like much, but we also get Wednesday afternoons off), so I'm not surprised that I'm the only one in the general area...

I recently possibly entered history by being the first American kid to win a French poem contest. the teachers are going to (apparently) publish the poem in the local newspaper. For someone like me, who doesn't like too much direct attention all the time, this could be not all good... Oh well.

#8 2007-06-01 10:32:20

Devantè
Real Member

Interesting ... you seem to be very talented and gifted. Good luck with learning those things, remember not to give up. wink

What instruments do you play?

I play guitar (all styles), cello, some flute, keyboard, some piano, some drums in spare time, bass, harmonica, percussion instrumentals, etc...

Do you want to buy our CD ... when it gets 'fully' published? smile

#9 2007-06-01 11:57:58

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Laterally Speaking wrote:

Most of the people in that family are named John, and have the "family sense of humor"

And what (dare I ask) is that "family sense of humor" ... ?

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#10 2007-06-01 22:09:40

Laterally Speaking
Real Member

The sense of humor is hard to describe, but one of the many philosophies is "if it isn't funny the first time, do it again and again until it is". We love playing practical jokes, but puns (or word play) are just as good (or is it bad).

I play guitar, too, as well as piano, and percussion. I write most of my music with a program that lets me hear all the instruments (with the effects that I choose) as I write the notes in. I recently wrote an interesting song for instruments such as piano, electric guitar, synth strings, electric bass, and a large percussion section.

The offer sounds temping, by the way.

#11 2007-06-02 04:19:45

Devantè
Real Member

What offer?

#12 2007-06-03 00:48:11

Laterally Speaking
Real Member

Devantè wrote:

Do you want to buy our CD ... when it gets 'fully' published?

That offer.

#13 2007-06-03 06:06:29

Devantè
Real Member

Oh, sure. What should the price be, I wonder? I hope my percentage of all profit is quite large. big_smile

The CD is based around Rock music ...

#14 2007-06-03 16:29:30

John E. Franklin

I play clarinet!!  And I make noise on a violin, playing totally incorrectly, however, because I prefer the higher notes to come toward me and my index finger, like on a clarinet, so I play the violin with my hands straight, not bent around in the normal fashion.  But then I have to hold the instrument between my chin and knees which have to be level, on a comfortable couch with feet on a foot stool.

igloo myrtilles fourmis

#15 2007-06-04 06:36:55

Laterally Speaking
Real Member

OK, then. At least I'm not the only one who doesn't like playing an instrument properly...

#16 2007-06-04 07:12:06

Devantè
Real Member

So ... what kind of 'level' are you at with guitar? How long have you been playing?

I have been playing for a very long time ... started very young. smile

#17 2007-06-05 03:28:22

Laterally Speaking
Real Member

I've only been playing for a year or so. I can't really say I'm great, but I've heard worse...

#18 2007-06-05 06:01:30

Devantè
Real Member

Any recordings of you playing? Perhaps something you can play very well? smile

#19 2007-06-11 03:50:47

Laterally Speaking
Real Member

Not really.

I do have the songs that I wrote, which I can convert to mp3s pretty easily. I wrote everything from classical music (I don't think it sounds great) to scores for a MMORPG that "we" are working on. The latter are songs in which the most prominent instruments are the electric guitar, the piano, some synth strings, and a rather large percussion section.

#20 2007-06-11 05:53:37

Devantè
Real Member

Well, if you would like to share that in the file extension/program format it is currently in (or if your preference is an MP3/Music [ player ] format), then feel free to do so in this thread.

(underlined word is clickable if unnoticed)

#21 2007-06-12 06:45:16

lottie9394

hi nice too meet u i am also 13 and a total boff so maybe u could teach me some of those subjects

#22 2007-06-12 22:18:07

Laterally Speaking
Real Member

Sure thing, or is it?

The upload speed of my connection over here is unbelievably slow, somewhere around 4 KB/s.  This pretty much limits my ability to share things via the Net.

#23 2007-06-13 07:39:06

Devantè
Real Member

Well, music tablature (program-designed or not) is surely not that bit at all. It would [ at least ] take a minimum of a few seconds.

But referring to larger files? An obstacle.

#24 2007-06-13 09:31:15

Laterally Speaking
Real Member

Like I said, it LIMITS my potential. Anyway, there's something new over on the other part. I gotta get to bed now... it's 11:30 PM and I've got class tomorrow from 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM.

#25 2007-06-15 04:17:53

Laterally Speaking
Real Member

I've got 1 week of actual class left over here. The "official" last day is July 7th, but that last week is basically just fun and games. As for the two weeks between next Friday and the beginning of the week of the 7th, the 9th-graders (troisiemes) are doing a big exam, so all the teachers are going to be very busy, so the rest of us get two extra weeks off.

Today was a really good day for me, in a lot of ways; I got some good scores, made a couple of new friends, and a few more personal things went well.

I guess there isn't much to say right now, but my next post might just be in French.

Board footer