Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-15 02:23:45

Eight Track

Equation for Calculating Ranking

Hi, Everyone...Texas gal stranded in Cincy here...nice to net meet you all.

Here's my dilema:

Calculating a success rate percentage, let's say 3 to 4 decimals as necessary.

Jim works full time 5 days a week, he clocks in, break, lunch, break, out for a total of 8 time card punches per day or 40 per week.

Jan works part time 3 days per week, she clocks in, lunch, out for a total of 4 time card punches per day or 12 per week.

For giggles we'll throw out Mike also.

Mike works 5 days a week, he clocks in, lunch, break, out for a total of 6 time card punches per day or 30 per week.

Jim has a 100% accuracy rate with his time card, leaving payroll never having to make manual adjustments.

Jan has a 100% accuracy rate with her time card also.

Mike forgot to clock in on Monday but that was his only error for the week.

Boss says the ranking goes Jim, Mike, Jan.  Even though Mike made an error, his schedule gives him much more opportunity for error over Jan.  What would be the equation to actual put it into a success rate percentage per employee.

I feel that the object is to get rid of all of these adjustments so employees that have errors are automatically out of the running....he agreed...so now I have to show how Jim's success rate percentage would actually be higher than Jans because he has more opportunity for error.

And yes, this is important....employees will receive cash bonuses based on their success rate with the time clock.  In order for the bonuses to be of some amount that matters, we can not have 100 employees all at 100%.  I know it sounds retarded but with a medium size company, the payroll clerk is spending many hours a week handling these manual adjustments and the documentation that must accompany them.

Thank you very much for your help.....and the boss darn well better let me see one of those cash bonuses for chasing this answer within myself for a week now and I do really hope ya'll can help.

#2 2007-06-16 17:39:27

John E. Franklin

Re: Equation for Calculating Ranking

Mike percentage = 2900/30
Jan % = 1200/12
Jim % = 4000/40
If Jim makes 3 errors in a week, then 3700/40, because 40 -3 is 37.
Hope it's that easy!

igloo myrtilles fourmis

Board footer