Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-13 22:31:46

Identity

How can you learn number theory

Hi, my school doesn't teach number theory probably because it is seen as not having many applications (unless you study it for a long time), so i was wondering what the best way is to learn this subject. I've tried to read a few books on it but there is just such an overload of information. It's even harder than a calculus book. There is proposition after proposition and I can't apply the techniques to problems because I just don't know how. So what's the best way to learn number theory. Are there any good books on it? Or should I get a tutor to help me with it? Thx...

#2 2007-09-14 04:19:25

Ricky

Re: How can you learn number theory

I would not recommend number theory until one has taken an introduction to proofs course.  That being said...

Number theory is a more or less pure mathematics subject.  When studying it, it is important to go over each part in great detail.  If you feel like you don't grasp a concept, don't see what something is used for, then play around with it for a bit.  A while.  A really long time.  Things take time in pure mathematics, and you won't get it at first, especially if you don't have a professor guiding you along the way.  Books can only say so much.  So use this forum as much as possible.

And number theory is considered a rather advanced part of math, so feel free to use Euler Avenue for it.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

Board footer