Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-25 08:05:53

ROBBYM

algebra

a and b are elements of group G. show that ab and ba have the same order. to complete this question iam suppose to find a reationship between (ab)^n and (ba)^n using the general associative law

I'm a little confused how to do this question as i would have used the comutative law which must be wrong because the question is worth a lot of marks please help me i have an exam on algebra soon and its quite worrying i can't answer this question sad

#2 2008-04-25 08:33:22

John E. Franklin

Re: algebra

e.g.   n=5
(ab)(ab)(ab)(ab)(ab)
use associate law.
a(ba)(ba)(ba)(ba)b
That's all I can think of.

igloo myrtilles fourmis

#3 2008-04-25 10:21:57

cushydom

suppose that ab and ba have different orders the one of then must have an order greater then the other. let the order of ab be greater than ba. let n be the order of ab. so (ab)^n=1.
so (ab)(ab)......(ab)(ab)=1 (with n lots of ab)
a(ba)(ba)......(ba)(ba)b=1   since the order of ba is less than that of ab some combination of these ba must equal one. this gives:
(ab)(ab)......(ab)(ab)=1 (with less than n lots of ab)
this gives the order of ab less than n. contradiction. therfore the order of ab = the order of ba

#4 2008-04-25 10:42:15

mathsyperson

Nice proof!
I just want to jump in late and mention that commutivity doesn't hold for groups in general, so ROBBY's initial thought wouldn't work.

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#5 2008-04-25 12:02:25

Ricky

Direct method:  Let o(ab) = n

So note that

Now:

This proves that o(ba) | o(ab).  Do the steps again starting with o(ba) = m to get o(ab) | o(ba) and conclude o(ab) = o(ba).

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

Board footer