Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#51 2008-05-28 21:25:00

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Re: Joke of the day

SvenBee,
Thats a repeat of the post dated May 24, 2008! smile

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#52 2008-05-29 09:49:49

SvenBee

Sorry about the repeat material guys, it's just a testament to how much of a mad house it's been around here lately. And thank you Ganesh for pointing that out. Here is some FRESH material guys:D, enjoy:

Mathematically%20speaking.........jpg

funnymath5.gif

numbers.gif

e...the red-headed stepchild of math.

#53 2008-05-29 10:42:11

blank_brunette

i don't really understand the pieces one...but the rest r funny!

In this world of cheerios, be a fruitloop! ♥

#54 2008-05-29 17:32:54

JohnnyReinB

They're great! I especially liked the last one.

Regarding the pieces, isn't it because the first shape isn't really a triangle, since the hypotenuse isn't a straight line?

When rearranged, the "missing" square was transferred because the hypotenuse bulged out.

At least, that's how I would explain it.

Last edited by JohnnyReinB (2008-06-02 18:46:51)

"There is not a difference between an in-law and an outlaw, except maybe that an outlaw is wanted" wink

Nisi Quam Primum, Nequequam

#55 2008-05-29 21:40:18

JaneFairfax

Calculate the area of the top figure by adding up the areas of the individual coloured pieces. You get 12 (red) + 7 (ochre) + 8 (light gren) + 5 (dark green) = 32. On the other hand ½×AC×CB = 32.5. Hence the area of the top figure is less than the area of a 13×5 right triangle by 0.5.

Similarly the area of the bottom figure plus the “missing square” is more than the area of the 13×5 right triangle by 0.5.

0.5 + 0.5 = 1. That accounts for the “missing square”.

#56 2008-05-30 03:26:49

Ricky

Regarding the pieces, isn't it because the first shape isn't really a triangle, since the hypotenuse is a straight line?

Did you mean "isn't a straight line"?  You're right in that the top overall shape is not a triangle.  If it were, then the red and green triangles must be similar (why?).  However, they aren't (why?).

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#57 2008-06-01 05:10:51

SvenBee

All Right guys this is going to be the last on for a couple of weeks, as soon as I get back I'll have some new ones for you. Enjoy:

Three women who work in the same office notice that their female boss has started leaving work early every day. One day they decide that after she leaves, they'll take off early, too. After all, she never calls or comes back, so how is she to know?

The brunette is thrilled to get home early. She does a Little gardening, watches a movie and then goes to bed early. The redhead is elevated to be able to get in a quick workout at her health club before meeting a dinner dates. The blonde is also very happy to be home early, but as she goes upstairs she hears noises coming from her bedroom. She quietly opens the door a crack and is mortified to see her husband in bed with HER BOSS!

Ever so gently, she closes the door and creeps out of her house.

The next day, the brunette and the redhead talk about leaving early again, but when they ask the blonde if she wants to leave early also, she exclaims, "NO WAY! Yesterday I almost got caught!"

#58 2008-06-01 05:50:13

blank_brunette

omg...wow..Thats funny!  lol

In this world of cheerios, be a fruitloop! ♥

#59 2008-06-05 20:09:53

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Yes, hilarious, to be precise! big_smile

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#60 2008-06-15 06:22:32

SvenBee

Long time no see guys, I just got back from Hawaii today and it was SPECTACULAR. Ask if you want to hear more O.o. Here's a joke to kick things off again:

George W. Bush, distraught over his worsening approval rating, was jogging through Washington in search of inspiration. Taking a break upon reaching the Washington Monument, he looks up for guidance and says, “George, you were one of our greatest Presidents, what should I do?”

Suddenly, a voice is heard from above. George Washington says to George W, “Abolish the I.R.S. and start over.”

George W, amazed that he’s actually talking to a past President, continues his job and this time stops at the Jefferson Memorial. Uttering a similar question to Thomas Jefferson, America’s author of the Declaration of Independence and one of its great early philosophers, he asks “Thomas, you’ve never had these kinds of problems. What can I do to rally people behind me?” Again a voice from above answers, “Welfare is not working, abolish it and start over.”

Upon hearing such great advice, George gets excited and plans on going to all the historical sites for guidance. Next stop is the Lincoln Memorial to see President Abraham Lincoln, who met his untimely death after winning the Civil War and keeping the country unified. “Abe, I need your help, people are losing confidence in me and they no longer trust me. What should I do?” After a substantial pause Abe replies, “Take the day off George. Go the the theatre.”

#61 2008-06-15 09:18:27

MathsIsFun
Administrator

SvenBee wrote:

Long time no see guys, I just got back from Hawaii today and it was SPECTACULAR. Ask if you want to hear more O.o.

For sure! cool

Photos too if you have any.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#62 2008-06-17 07:17:07

SvenBee

I'll get some pictures posted when I get my digital camera back from my friend. I'm passing over the joke today in favor of a few funny pick up lines that will get you a good laugh if not a lady. O.o

Are you a laser baby? 'Cuz you're set to stun.
If I could rearrange the alphabet, I would put U and I together.
Can I read your T shirt in brail?
Baby you must be tired because you’ve been running through my mind all night!
All those curves! And me with no brakes!
And by far the least funny but most effective: Baby, does this smell like chloroform to you?

Have a great day guys.

#63 2008-06-18 12:06:39

SvenBee

Hello everyone, here's today's joke:

A drunk man approaches a woman checking out at a supermarket. As she's loading her items onto the conveyor he asks her, "You're single, aren't you?"  The woman ignores him and continues to check out as he stumbles away.  While she continues loading her groceries she begins to wonder how the man knew she was single.  She becomes paranoid and wonders if he is following her or if he can tell from her groceries.  The paranoia gets to her and she runs into to the produce section where she sees the man standing. She shakes him violently and demands to know how he knew she was single.  He turns around, focuses, and says, "*Hiccup*'Cuz yous ugly!"

#64 2019-12-03 20:59:34

Monox D. I-Fly

SvenBee wrote:

I'll get some pictures posted when I get my digital camera back from my friend. I'm passing over the joke today in favor of a few funny pick up lines that will get you a good laugh if not a lady. O.o

Can I read your T shirt in brail?

Or get a slap to your face.

Actually I never watch Star Wars and not interested in it anyway, but I choose a Yoda card as my avatar in honor of our great friend bobbym who has passed away.
May his adventurous soul rest in peace at heaven.

#65 2019-12-09 01:16:55

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Jokes of the day: A teacher asked her students to use the word "beans" in a sentence. "My father grows beans," said one girl. "My mother cooks beans," said a boy. A third student spoke up, "We are all human beans."

#66 2019-12-12 14:04:50

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Joke of the day: A cement mixer and a prison bus crashed on the highway. Police advise citizens to look out for a group of hardened criminals.

Board footer