Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-09 23:35:03

Bunno

Why does factoring work with limits????

Ok, so i want to find the limit as x approaches 1 for the equation:  X-squared - 9
                                                                                               ------------------
                                                                                                     X - 3

if i just plug in the numbers i get 0/0, but if i factorise the top first it comes out 6.

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?

Factorising shouldn't change the end result should it?

#2 2009-01-09 23:36:07

Bunno

Re: Why does factoring work with limits????

Sorry, i mean as X approaches 3!

#3 2009-01-10 01:39:14

JaneFairfax

"As x approaches a” means x can get as close to a as you like without being equal to a.

If your function f is continuous at a, then you can plug the value of a into f to find the limit. In the case of

is not continous at
so you cannot plug the value of 3 into
(
is not even defined at
).

However, if

then we would have
. Hence if we are interested in the value of
as
gets as close to 3 as possible without being equal to 3, then we can use
, and we see that as
approaches 3,
approaches 6.

There is a rigorous definition of limits traditionally using the symbols

and
; however I don’t think you have reached the level required to fully understand it yet, so I hope you are happy with my non-rigorous explanation above.

Last edited by JaneFairfax (2009-01-10 04:50:46)

#4 2009-01-10 02:38:57

Daniel123

Until you're at the stage of understanding the rigorous definition Jane mentions above, think of getting an answer like 0/0 as 'we can't get the answer this way, as 0/0 is not defined. It could really be anything'.

#5 2009-01-10 04:31:20

Ricky

No Daniel, there is a much better answer as Jane said.  To reiterate, as long as x is not 3, we are able to compute what f(x) is.  And with a limit, we are only concerned with the points around x = 3, but not x = 3 itself.  So dividing out by x - 3 is completely legit since we are making sure x is not equal to 3.

By just plugging in 3, you are actually not finding the limit at all.  Remember that f(c) = lim x->c f(x) only when f is continuous.  Since f isn't continuous at x = 3 here, plugging in 3 is very, very, very wrong.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#6 2009-01-12 01:11:09

TheDude

I think what Bunno was asking is "How can f(x) not be continuous at x = 3, but if you factor the numerator and cancel it with the denominator then it is continuous at x = 3".

If that was your question Bunno, then the answer is that

If you are ever solving an equation and you get (x^2 - 9) / (x - 3), then you can never allow x to equal 3, even if you factor the numerator and cancel the denominator.  You will still get x + 3 for the total expression, but you have to keep in mind that you cannot allow x to equal 3 even if the final answer you get would be continuous at that point.

Wrap it in bacon

Board footer