Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-23 11:45:54

BananacreamPi

Grad school advice?

What does it take to get into the top mathematics programs in the country for graduate school? What kind of research programs or internships should I be involved in? Is being the top student at an unknown university enough, or do you have to win national competitions and discover new math theories as an undergraduate in order to be considered for admission? I have a lot of recommendations and I'm a good standardized test taker, but I'm a non-traditional student. I worked part time and went to community college.

What do you think my chances are? If there's anyone here who got into Harvard, Stanford, Princeton, etc. how did you do it?

Thanks!

smile

#2 2009-01-24 11:44:29

Ricky

Re: Grad school advice?

If there's anyone here who got into Harvard, Stanford, Princeton, etc. how did you do it?

I don't believe there is anyone here who does.

Is being the top student at an unknown university enough, or do you have to win national competitions and discover new math theories as an undergraduate in order to be considered for admission?

It is rather difficult to say, and varies from case to case.  Being (one of) the top student(s) at an unknown university is normally a necessary but not sufficient condition.  Undergraduate research helps, and as much as it pains me to say it, so does doing well in national competitions.  Other than those things, there is really only GPA, advanced courses you've taken, and letters of recommendation that are important.  And of course, 700-800 at the absolute lowest on the Math GRE.

One important thing is that you apply to a school that has strengths not just in mathematics, but in the field of mathematics you want to study.  Some schools are mostly analysis, others applied math, and others in algebra or geometry.

Lastly, going to a good graduate school is of course good.  But mathematics is mostly about self study.  The school you go do is certainly a big influence on the direction your studies will go, but you can go to a less decent school and still come out on top of the Harvard graduates.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

Board footer